Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to rats. The 4 I have now are my first rats. I'm still learning about different health issues etc. I got a new girl 2-3 weeks ago now and she's been sneezing since. She went to the vet, is being treated with baytril, and still isn't better. I'm worried about her and don't want to take her back to the vet if unnecessary it's expensive. I really want to introduce her to my other 3, as right now she's all alone. I really don't want my other 3 getting sick though....Any suggestions? Is it normal or should she be not sneezing anymore? She's been on baytril for 4-5 days now.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The sneezing should have decreased within 3-5 days of starting the meds. Give the vets a call back and let them know the meds aren't working. Most times they'll just swap it out for another med without having to re-evaluate your rat.

Keep the left over meds though as back up because chances are it will work on another rat in the future if they get a little sneezier than usual.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's better then she was, for sure. But it's just not going away completely. I guess I worded that poorly sorry lol

·
Registered
555 Posts
How long has she been on the meds for? Sometimes it honestly just takes a different med if it's lingering. Doxycycline and Baytril worked very well for my girls when they were sick.

You can also give them coconut oil also mixed in with their fresh veggies. That will help with their overall health also. And you can get vitamin supplement to put into their water also. It's made by Oasis I think?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
she's been on meds for 4-5 days. She was originally on Tetracyclin. She's doing better then she was but its not going away completely. I'll take her back to vet next week when I get paid if she hasn't improved...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts