Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two girls, Misha and Mini, and I just noticed that Misha is walking oddly with her back hunched and is standing on her back toes? She is a very hyper rat that is not used to being handled yet, but she just stood still while I picked her up and is very calm. Mini is fine, but Misha's fur is poofy and messed up. :( I gave Misha a treat and she ate it. She was acting fine last night, what is happening? Please help a.s.a.p! ???

·
Registered
555 Posts
Is her fur poofy when she's sitting?
Rat phone her and see if her lungs sound okay. You can do this by holding her upper belly to your ear. You shouldn't be able to hear anything other than her heartbeat and her sniffing if she's smelling your hair as you're doing this.

Check her eyes and nose for redness (porphorin). You can use a qtip that's damp with warm water and just gently wipe them.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Being hunched up and poof fur indicates either pain or not feeling good. Could she have fell off a level in her cage? Any limping or swollen back feet or legs? Any bruising?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She didn't have any porphorin and and she lived in a tank. However, she passed away Friday at 2:00. :( (I am fixing up an old guinea pig cage for her sister now--I will get another rat soon too.) I think it was her pet store genetics that killed her. She had something wrong on the inside... She wan't in any visible pain when she passed, and she was about 5-6 months old. Her sister is sad and I will keep a close watch on her so that the same thing won't happen.

R.I.P Misha :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts