Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from work and was cooking dinner and went to give my two boys their fair share of carrot… Scabbers ran for it as usual but when he went to take it with his mouth he tried but then just stopped and stared at me.. He tried a few times and eventually dropped it.. This is VERY unlike him.. this morning he took his morning treat just fine without any issues.. He really wants to eat but seems unable to.. Keeps kind of mouthing the carrot but not exactly biting it.. I gave him some frozen greek blueberry yogurt and he gobbled that up.. he tried his carrot again after that but still was a no go.. I have work tomorrow so I had to make a vet appointment for tomorrow night after 5.. was just wondering if anyone ever experienced something like this before? I'll obviously be giving him soft foods all night to make sure he doesn't go hungry until we see what the vet says.. Oh and Scabbers is just over a year old.. don't know his exact age but can't be more than 14-15 months

·
Registered
213 Posts
Check his teeth, they might be overgrown. Here's a link about rat anatomy- http://www.ratbehavior.org/Teeth.htm

If his teeth are too long you'll have to either trim them yourself or let the vet do it.

Another cause might be that he's staring to lose his mobility- as rats, especially males, get older they can get hind leg degeneration, basically when their hind legs get weaker. Their front legs may also get weaker and they won't be able to balance and hold the food up to their mouth. However, Scabbers seems too young, it generally starts after they are about 20 months old or even older. My past rat, Nico, got hind leg degeneration when he was about 2 years old. He couldn't hold and chew his hard food so I gave him mashed pellets with a little water. Baby food can also work.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts