Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at my 4 girl's teeth. They do not meet in the middle (are longer) and they started to go in different directions. It's the same thing for all my 4 girls! MY new rat (got her a week ago) teeth had a cavity but it went away and her teeth are a tiny bit too long but I just gave her a chewie so I'm not worried. And yeah, my 4g are bad chewers but still have 10+ chew toys! Idk what I should do? Should I see a vet or should I trim them myself? How do I do that??? HELP I'm panicking!!!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just looked at my 4 girl's teeth. They do not meet in the middle (are longer) and they started to go in different directions. It's the same thing for all my 4 girls! MY new rat (got her a week ago) teeth had a cavity but it went away and her teeth are a tiny bit too long but I just gave her a chewie so I'm not worried. And yeah, my 4g are bad chewers but still have 10+ chew toys! Idk what I should do? Should I see a vet or should I trim them myself? How do I do that??? HELP I'm panicking!!!!!

Ok ...first - "cavity" is another word for "hole" - they don't simply "go away".
I think you need to find a vet and bring your rats in for a check-up.

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
218 Posts
For sure! Cavities are serious and don’t just go away. You need to get all 4 of your rats’ teeth trimmed by an exotic vet, because from your description it sounds like they’re overgrown. Hopefully your rats’ teeth are not as bad as this picture, but here’s a picture of overgrown teeth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok ...first - "cavity" is another word for "hole" - they don't simply "go away".
I think you need to find a vet and bring your rats in for a check-up.
For sure! Cavities are serious and don’t just go away. You need to get all 4 of your rats’ teeth trimmed by an exotic vet, because from your description it sounds like they’re overgrown. Hopefully your rats’ teeth are not as bad as this picture, but here’s a picture of overgrown teeth. View attachment 303648
First, the cavity was just some black stuff on her teeth and it DID go away! MY rat's teeth are a bit shorter than that. My vet would charge 200$ per rat so Idk if that's an option. I think I could trim them myself? I could get some nail clippers and try.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
659 Posts
I think it would be safer to file them down as clipping could lead to damage.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
659 Posts
I just used a metal fingernail file when I did it. You may have to put your rat in a sock so they can't run away though. (ik that sounds terrible)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just used a metal fingernail file when I did it. You may have to put your rat in a sock so they can't run away though. (ik that sounds terrible)
Phew! Cipping it with a nail clipper did seem scary. TYSM!

·
Registered
476 Posts
What do you feed your rats? Overgrown teeth shouldn't be a problem if your feeding lab blocks. At least I haven't heard about it being a problem while feeding lab blocks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you feed your rats? Overgrown teeth shouldn't be a problem if your feeding lab blocks. At least I haven't heard about it being a problem while feeding lab blocks.
Oxbow rat food

1 - 12 of 12 Posts