Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm freaking out! My rat has gained SO much weight in the time span of like 1-2 weeks. When I pick her up I can feel her SPINE and her RIB CAGE. It gives me goosebumps and I'm SO WORRIED about her health. I'm really wondering what wrong. If you guys can give literally ANY information on what she could have or why she's like this it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!

Registered
If you can feel her spine and rib cage, that means that she's lost a ton of weight very rapidly. Rapid weight loss is a very bad sign and your rat could die. It sounds like you need to schedule a vet exam ASAP.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
If you can feel her spine and rib cage, that means that she's lost a ton of weight very rapidly. Rapid weight loss is a very bad sign and your rat could die. It sounds like you need to schedule a vet exam ASAP.
But the weird thing is that she has gained sized, she's eating and drinking water normally and still walks around her enclosure like normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
How old is she? How long have you had her? Is she otherwise healthy? What do you feed her? Can you attach a picture?
I got her a year ago and she still seems very healthy. She still walks around her enclosure, eats, and drinks occasionally fighting over sweet potato treats with her sisters. She's eating Oxbow Adult Rat food.

Registered
I got her a year ago and she still seems very healthy. She still walks around her enclosure, eats, and drinks occasionally fighting over sweet potato treats with her sisters. She's eating Oxbow Adult Rat food.
she sounds healthy, but I can't really tell yet. She gained size but not weight? She's eating and drinking normally? If you have a kitchen scale, (preferably that weighs in grams) you should weigh her every day. if you can attach a picture I can give you better advice.

Super Moderator
I dont understand sorry, she's gained weight but you can feel her ribs?
How much weight, have you weighed them?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
she sounds healthy, but I can't really tell yet. She gained size but not weight? She's eating and drinking normally? If you have a kitchen scale, (preferably that weighs in grams) you should weigh her every day. if you can attach a picture I can give you better advice.
Yes she is eating and drinking normally, sadly I cannot post a picture for bug reasons, but her 'bloated' look seems to be decreasing already.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I dont understand sorry, she's gained weight but you can feel her ribs?
How much weight, have you weighed them?
No, I haven't weighed them but she feels about the same, she just appears bloated or her fur is sticking out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts