Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I found this morning that one of my boys has suddenly starting bleeding from 'that' area. When he marks, it is full of blood. Yesterday, I didn't notice anything at all and he's been on antibiotics since Monday for a chest infection, so I'm assuming the chance of it being an infection is unlikley?

What else can cause this? He doesn't appear to be in much pain, he's happy to eat and run around (although he's not running around as much as usual, but that's understandable). The blood seems to be fresh, it's not brown it's red.

I'm taking him to the vets Monday morning, but I'd like to be prepared.

Is there anything I can do in the meanwhile?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought I should also mention that I've had a rat in the past that had acid crystals in his bladder, which caused the lining to bleed, hence why he urinated blood.

Unfortunately, I lost him to it in the end (and a long long battle for his life) which is why I'm so worried now.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
om not sure, maybe its crystals. with male cats you have to feed them wet food to avoid that, dontknow if its the same wiht rats

·
Registered
330 Posts
my (male)cat has crystals but we just talked to the vet and changed his diet and it was ok, it sounds the same as my cat though, if thes not drinking then i think it will probably be crystals.but as far as i know its ealy cureable

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've not noticed any difference in his drinking - but then again he is very odd about his drinking habits. He doesn't often drink when people are in the room.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just noticed that the amount of blood is increasing.

I can take him to the emergency vets tomorrow but they charge £50 just for walking through the door out of hours. I will re-evaluate the situation tommorrow morning - what should I look out for in making the decision whether to take him or not?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I took him to the vets this morning and after some squeezing and poking was diagnosed with cystitis (sp?)

I didn't think an infection was likely, because he's been on the antibiotics for a while now. But, apparently, bladders in rats are very hard to get antibiotics into, especially when taken orally. The most effective method is by injection. Who knew?

Thought you guys might be interested. I know I was.

I love my weekly vet-lessons

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've learnt to never assume straight away, but he's eating, drinking and running around. And there's less blood today than at the weekend. So signs are good, thank you for asking :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts