Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

My girlfriend and I were playing with our rats and shut the door behind us and caught one of our little girls in the door. The door has about an inch-inch and a half of space in the between the door and frame when open. When she squeaked, it wasn't even half closed and we noticed and stopped moving the door. She was panicking and squeaked a bit trying to get her head out. Her head was never between the door and frame, rather her head was stuck and couldn't fit through the gap to remove it and her neck was caught. I don't think a lot of pressure was applied except in the early seconds of the event. We were able to open more slowly and remove her head. She was dizzy and very fatigued after panicking. I believe she has been choked by the event, but I'm not for certain. She immediately crawled back to her cage and just laid flat on her belly. About an hour has passed now, and she is showing signs of improvement. Her face seems a bit swelled around her eyes and cheeks. Her color is fine. I can tell by shifting her skin that her eyes are bloodshot as if she has been choked. She is still laying down trying to rest and breathing a bit heavily.

She is making a bit of a low wheezing noise occasionally as if her nose is blocked up by mucous from stress. I have given her some dark chocolate to help her respiratory system as well as some PowerAde, as we read that giving sugar and electrolytes is key in the event of shock. I have also properly dosed her with ibuprofen to help with swelling or pain. Just recently, she ate some more solid food that a cage mate had left behind. She is still rather alert to movement, and if she is removed from the cage, can walk back with no problems. The only issues now that I am worried about is her seemingly swollen face and low wheezing occasionally (it kind seems like coughing but a bit different). I can imagine being forcefully choked for a rat is similar to a human and she probably feels like a lump is in her throat. Because she has eaten solid food and does not show signs of pain when touching her neck, I think her throat is okay. I'm thinking she will slowly recover through this, but I was wanting some feedback if anyone has had anything like this happen. I am also wondering if this behavior after such a traumatic event is normal.

I really hope she will be okay, and I think that she is just shaken up a bit and was choked for air for about 10-15 seconds. If you have any advice, please lend some. The vets are currently closed but we will contact them tomorrow if things go well tonight. I want to make sure we can do everything we can to help her heal from this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I couldn't figure out how to edit my main post, but she has made leaps in recovery. Her face is not swollen and the little cough like noise when exhaling isn't happening. She is a bit sniffly as I expected her to be being put through so much stress. But she is coming to the cage door and coming out and exploring, although she is a bit skittish still. She is our alpha, so I have much faith in her. She has eaten plenty of food and water too. It looks like she will make a full recovery in a few days, thankfully!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Poor girl! Very scary for you all.. I'm always terrified someone will open the door when one of mine are sniffing under the crack.. It sounds like she'll be able to recover on her own, especially since you're caring for her so well and there was no serious injury. It was proably just a trauma to everyone, but she should hopefully recover well soon!

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it was rather scary. That's exactly what she was doing except she stuck her whole head through, silly thing. She's nearly returned to her old self. I think we'll have to coax her out and make her comfortable outside the cage again with treats cause she's very cautious about adventuring now, haha. I'm really surprised she's pulled through this but it seems she's gonna be just fine. She's a bit of a tough one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.