Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My two boys were prescribed Revolution by their vet for mites. The first dose was administered at the vet's office, and unfortunately the next dose 10 days later would need to be administered while i was out of town. I explained to my petsitter how it worked and left the instructions for her, but there was some confusion. She gave each of my rats a full tube of the blue Revolution for cats (45mg). They were meant to get .25mL each.

I was made aware of this today, but she administered it 5 days ago. She says they've both seemed fine.

I'm flying home today and am obviously freaking out. It's Labour day weekend so my vet won't open for another 2 days. Does anyone have any words of wisdom here? I feel so helpless. They're both big boys, so that makes me hopeful.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Giving your vet a call is probably a good thing, mostly for your own peace of mind. The [safety data sheet] for Revolution lists the oral LD50 value at 2,000 mg/kg. LD50 means lethal dose 50%, or the dose amount that killed half of the animals tested. 2,000 mg/kg means 2,000 milligrams of the medicine per kilogram of a rat's weight. For example, 1,000 mg of Revolution (22 tubes) would be enough to kill 50% of rats weighing 500 grams if they ingested it orally. Your rats were prescribed 15 mg and they got 45 mg. That's still a really long way off from a lethal dose.

Check out the RatGuide page on [Revolution] for adverse side effects to look out for but I probably wouldn't be too worried.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, thank you SO much for the thorough response. This is such a relief. I'll definitely still call the vet on Tuesday but now I can at least sleep at night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For posterity's sake - I called the vet and told them what happened. They asked if I had noticed any dermatological symptoms (skin irritation, allergic reaction) or neurological symptoms (trouble walking, shaking). My rats didn't have either. So they said let's not give them any more Revolution for 4 weeks, and at the end of that time we will reassess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts