Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has this ever happened to any of you?

Edi and Tali have been together since they were born. They were littermates, and have never been separated. They never seemed to have any problems, even when they both were unspayed and in heat.

In the past week, however, Tali has presented with FIVE new bites. The first were defensive bites under her chin. We applied meds, and they healed, and we wondered. Then a few mornings later there were two scabs on her back. Then this morning she had a scab on the back of her neck by her ear and a FRESH new defensive bite under her chin that had pulled out a chunk of fur around the scab.

They never fight when we are in the room. They seem to get along fine. These things seem to be happening at night, when we're not in the room.

Their cage is arranged with lots of small, cozy sleeping and crawling and climbing spaces. Could it be that as they grow up, they are not fitting, and scrapping over space? I will attach a pic when I get home.

I am very disturbed, as you can imagine, and don't know how to protect Tali from her (apparently) suddenly nippy sister. Do I need to separate them immediately?

Is it maybe just that they are going through hormonal changes since they were both spayed a month ago, and maybe it will pass?

I was planning to bring the cage into our room tonight so I could hear if there were any problems. I'd just have to put up with the nonstop wheel running. But I worry that Tali will get even more beat up if we let this go on.

Will introducing a third cagemate help? Do I need to make Edi a solitary rat and get a buddy for Tali?

Soon all four of our boys will be neutered, should I try combining the two colonies once the boys heal?

GAH! Help!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just some pictures to help--The first is the cage, sans rats. Is it too...I dunno....decorated for them? They seem to love it, but...maybe they fight for a spot they love?

The second is poor Tali. You can see the blood stain. It is a bit smeared cause I smeared it with antibiotic cream. She has other wounds on her neck under her chin that look bad, too.

Currently the girls are in separate cages. Since I first posted, I came back home to find Tali bleeding from one of her wounds, so she either groomed it open or it got re-nipped. Either way, they're apart now. : ( First time in their lives.

Cage Degu Muridae Rat Rodent Rat Mammal Hamster Muridae Rodent

1 - 2 of 2 Posts