Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , i got my second rat around 2 weeks ago , when i got her home i noticed she was sneezing slightly but this went away after a couple days.Today she is sneezing ALOT, seems to be hiccuping or coughing and twitches.Shes only 12 weeks old and im a bit worried she has a respiraratory infection.If she needs to go to a vets how much (in english money) is this likely to cost to get sorted ? shes still eating and very lively by the way.

p.s she has been in isolated quarantine for the duration

·
Registered
222 Posts
well just to see a vet where i live its $50 but i dont know how much treatment would be he would probably give u some prescription medicine or check your local petstore they might sell resperitory infection medicine

·
Registered
393 Posts
ratrover said:
well just to see a vet where i live its $50 but i dont know how much treatment would be he would probably give u some prescription medicine or check your local petstore they might sell resperitory infection medicine
Never, ever use pet store remedies. They are not strong enough and can even be dangerous. The only proper way to treat an infection is to take your pet to the vet and get prescription medication for them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It isn't an acceptable alternative.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not to harp on you or anything, I hope you didn't feel that I was. But treating with pet store medications can often make things worse. They are rarely efficient at treating the problem and can even make the bacteria stronger and more resistant if they are a low grade antibiotic. Most of them aren't even antibiotics though and will just treat symptoms without touching the actual problem. The only reliable way to treat the problem is to see a vet who will prescribe the appropriate medications.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What was it and was the vet a reliable exotics vet?

·
Registered
393 Posts
.....The vet specialized in dumbos? Only dumbo rats? ....Why? Dumbos are the same as standard eared rats aside from the way their ears are shaped and positioned...

As for the medicine, can't say much if you don't remember what it was.

-- Gary26Uk I am SO sorry we hijacked your thread here, I'm sure someone else in the UK will be able to come by and answer your question!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ah, I see. Well that makes a lot more sense than a vet specializing in dumbos XD;

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
... I am going to be good and focus on the original post..

Anyhow, I definitely recommend seeing a vet asap. Sneezing and hiccuping are often signs of a URI (though they can also be settling in and baby rats do tend to hiccup more, but...) I can't help on how much it may cost, though, sorry!

For the future, I personally recommend following a 3 week QT when possible. 2 weeks is the bare minimum, but 3 really is best. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm , not sure whats going on but its totally stopped now and she seems fine.Very strange , shes still in quarantine at the minute and thats where im gonna keep for at least another week , just incase anything re occurs

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Gary,

I don't know if it's too far out of your way, but the vet I use in St Albans (Animalism, it's at the bottom of Holiwell Hill (sp? can never spell it) tel: 01727 854787) is where I go.

They're very good with small animals, especially if you go on Monday, Wednesday or Friday and see Mr Hess - he loves rats. Consult hours are open surgery 9-10am and 5:30-7pm every day, and I think between 10-11am on a Saturday.

Standard consultation fee is around £10 for small animals, then you add meds on top. For a usual resp flare up, it usually doesn't cost more than £20.

Hope this helps, if you're still having problems :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts