Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP

OH GOD

Winston is bleeding I think from his penis, really badly, drips are coming out. It's quite heavy. He's VERY limp and can't move well. He's up and about and hes trying so hard to eat.

I can't get to the vet until tomorrow morning, I'm terrified. PLEASE help

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: HELP PLEASE

Nowhere near at all. Best thing I can do is get there first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Went to the vet this morning and they basically told me there's nothing I can do except what I've already been doing. I've got baytril at home so I'm giving him that, but he's stopped eating and I'm worried about it.

·
Registered
745 Posts

I have no idea... Possibly a ruptured bladder?

The vet doesn't sound like they were incredibly helpful. At the very least, with that much blood loss, they should have given him fluids. Depending on how much you're willing to spend, you might want to ask if you can do x-rays. If he's got maybe a kidney stone or something, it might show up on film. Don't be afraid to tell them what you want.

Edited to add: I don't know how far Reading or Machester are from you, but if you want a second opinion there are exotic specialty clinics there:

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/sy...p?id=6104558&NodeID=89812&SearchType=practice

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/sy...p?id=6209607&NodeID=89812&SearchType=practice

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm in London, Reading is quite far to go with him but if it gets any worse I'll definitely consider it. Thanks for the help.

He's eaten a lot and had a bit to drink, and he's actually quite active at the moment. Haven't spotted anymore blood but he's become quite prone to sleeping on the black fleece I've put in the carrier (he's in a cat carrier at the moment so he can sleep next to me etc)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

If you need an emergency vet, possibly try the emergency vet that's given in my area?

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Hospitals/QMH/Index.cfm

They cover most of herts, beds and bucks for out of hour emergencys. Also, Medivet.

Also, my mum just said, Medivet is meant to be 24 hours, and there is one in Watford (apparently)

http://www.medivet.co.uk/

They might be a bit of a drive (and on the expensive side) but I know from experience that they are well equipt for emergencies (well, RVC is) RVC don't know much about rats in general but whenever I've taken them in, they've done the absolute most they could (e.g. Daphne's emergency eye removal, Katie's respitory attacks)

Good luck with Winston - it's terrible when things happen so suddenly!

·
Registered
60 Posts

How is Winston doing today?

Deb

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hey Deb,

Thanks for asking about Winston : )

I think he's doing better. He's been eating a fair amount, and has definitely been drinking more water. Whether or not the amount of blood has lessened, I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain it has.

All in all a much better day I think! He's also desperate to get out and run around but not just yet, poor thing. Hopefully tomorrow I'll see more improvement!

He's still on the baytril, I'm hoping it was just a UTI.

·
Registered
745 Posts

If he was bleeding as much as you say, I think it's more likely that it was a kidney stone. I had one once, and it was awful.

·
Registered
60 Posts

So glad that he's doing better! Give him a skritch for me, and tell him to keep getting better til he's 100% again. :)

Deb

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys just a quick update on Winstonface! He SEEMS to be doing extraordinarily well. He's back in his cage (I had him in his big carrier next to my bed night and day) and running around. He is evidence of his fattyness from all those treats he was getting:

Basically he ISN'T peeing blood anymore (I know because when I was playing with him on my bed last night, he so kindly peed on me) and his little tummy is back to it's round self. I'm actually keeping an eye on that since he seems to be bigger than before... but I'm sure it's just him being a bit of a porker from eating and not doing anything.

Again, thanks for the support guys <3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts