Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found figgy like this. How can I help him?? What is it?

I can see the bones in his tail basicallly. Pics won’t upload.

·
Registered
My baby PEW girls, Miri and Bean
208 Posts
Do you mean it is degloved? Like the skin is coming off his tail? If it is, take him to the vet ASAP as that could get infected.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! Ahh ok, I have to tell my parents. I feel awful. How did this happen!!! What does an infection look like? I am dealing with Alfredo who will most likely need to put down in a few days or something so this is so much for me.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Is there any thing I can do before we can get him to the vet??? I’m going on a trip tmw but my mom and brother are staying home. Maybe I have my brother help with it??

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn’t asking for medical advice. I need to know if I should put him in a hospital cage or i don’t know! That’s what a rat forum is for right?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Being that there's no picture or description of the issue, we really don't have any idea of what's going on. A degloving injury is when the skin is ripped off of the rat's tail, fully exposing the vertebrae. If the injury occurred at or near the very tip, it's likely painful but not necessarily an emergency situation. If there's a large section of skin missing, your rat is in lots of pain and it's probably quite a serious issue.

I'd suggest posting clear pictures.

If you rat has an open wound, some sort of "clean" enclosure (hospital cage) is a good idea to prevent debris and waste from getting in the wound. If your rat is in pain, [Children/infant liquid Tylenol] can be given until you're able to speak with a vet.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. Im so so sorry, I tried so many times to upload a picture but when I post it it doesn't work. Right before I push " Post Reply" the image has a line through and its like really weird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts