Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a pretty bad situation with two of my rats that are brothers and have never been separated. I just acquired a pair of 6 week old rats a female and male and have them in a completely different cage from my two boys. Now one of my boys has become extremely aggressive toward me and his brother. I have separated the two boys buy I don't want them separated for good. Would it help if I got the female spayed or the male nurtured or both to help fix the situation. Is there another option?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Has the aggression started without even being put with the other rats yet? are the other rats just in the same room in a separate cage and he sees them across the room? Am I understanding the situation correctly or have you tried introducing them to the new rats yet?

·
Registered
953 Posts
How old is your aggressive boy? If he's youngish-3 -9 months, I would guess he's just having a hormonal time in his life. There are a few threads if you look around with people that have had those kinds of issues so you might look through and see whats helped. If he doesn't outgrow it, neutering is usually the solution.

You are going to want to spay the female or neuter all the boys if you want them eventually all caged together. The female rat can get pregnant at 5 weeks of age.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
Two pairs of rats living close to each other but apart is something that can cause a whole lot of problem as they can't straighten out their differences. Having the enemy near by and out of reach can drive some rats absolutely insane. Once you get through intros things can work themselves out. But I'm not sure how the female fits in to the pack... or for that matter her imminent pups?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much! The boys are about 6 months old so I think he is just being real hormonal. I separated them for the night and this morning he was much more calm he let me pick him up with no problems. I put the boys back together and he's calmed down a bit but he's still picking on his brother here and there. I have take the cage with the two new rats out of the room and put them in a completely different room. I have yet to introduce them to my existing rats I was keeping the cages close so they could get a smell of each other but I think he got a little too excited.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
In our human minds gradually getting used to the smell of other rats makes sense to us, much like we will start off with a hello to a new person, then drift into impersonal questions before getting to know them better. Rats arent like us, they are creatures of the moment and heirachy is very improtant to them (lets face it its important to humans too but we try to pretend it doesnt matter and hide it behind words and gossip lol). Having a cage there, smelling odd, with a fertile female in it (the young male wont be a big deal to them at this age) immediatly upsets the balance of there group, and theres no way for them to sort it out. Rats demonstrate control and heirachy position via physical signals like grooming, pinning and even your aggressive fluffing and posturing. They need this rather than words so tend to get tense when they know theres newcomers but dont know what to do with it. Its like someone new coming into a small office team, except your not told what they do (and fear they might be there to replace you) and your not allowed to speak to them. You would naturally be tense and unsettled, possibly snapping at other people.

I would emphasise though that you need to split the doe from ber brother ASAP if they are currently kept together. Both rats are most likley fully fertil at this age and if she isnt pregnant yet she will be soon. If your short on cages then i would intro the baby boy to your adults, 6 weeks isnt a bad age, though i prefer to do it around 7-8 weeks for males. The doe may well be best spayed as soon as your vet feels able to operate, some refuse to do it before the rat is 200g (which shes unlikley to be at the moment). The strain of having a litter so young can be very hard on a doe, shes only a baby herself so to raise a full litter of little ones is a big job, not to mention enourmously taxing on her body which is growing at the moment. If your vet will spay in the next couple of weeks at least you remove the chance of her being pregnant. Alternatively if your vet will use it Galastrop is a drug used to shrink hormonal tumours which has the bonus side affect of one dose working like a morning after pill. If you could do this and then get her some company thats not going to get her pregnatn until shes old enough to spay, or return her and get a little boy to go with your other little one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.