Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat Tazo keeps sneezing and i think coughing. he has porphyrin all over his nose for the 3rd time since i got him. He is 7 months and from a breeder. he also has orange dust all over his back and little scabs on him. he lives alone because he and my other rat couldn't stop fighting. my mom refuses to take him to a vet what do i do?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Could be mites also. Is he itching himself?causing the scabs? I think he prolly needs to go to the vet. Are you old enough to work? any means of paying mom back? Make a contract with mom?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
probably mites, he itches all the time. and my mom won't let him go to the vet, and no i can't get a job in CA because i'm not 16 yet, i would pay her back

·
Registered
672 Posts
That just stinks! I am sorry! I bet he is sooo miserable. I know there are treatments u can use, like kitten revolution, but I don't know the dosage or cost.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Also for some temporary relief cover his fur and tail in olive oil, I believe it suffocates the mites, also change bedding. I don't think this will cure but will provide some relief for the poor fellow

·
Registered
425 Posts
The dosage for revolution is 1-2 drops on the back of the neck, you should also treat your other rat even if he isn't showing any signs of mites because he will have them. Get the Kitten Revolution. You can freeze the extra to use later. As for the sneezing, you could try keeping him on fleece for a while to see if he improves. My advice would be to research URIs (Upper Respiratory Infections) in rats and show your Mom that you know what you are talking about, find a reasonably priced vet, then come back to her with a price estimate, facts, and a plan to pay her back somehow (chores, allowance, etc.) I find that my parents are a lot more likely to agree to do something like this for me if I have researched it and found viable options. As a jump off point my vet charges about 50$ for a full exam and then 20ish$ for three weeks of antibiotics if they are needed. The orange dust is likely buck grease which doesn't hurt them. You can wipe it off with an unscented baby wipe if you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts