Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided to rat proof my living room so the lads free time can be a little more exploration for them!! I need something I can buy/make in the UK that I can put around my tv unit, fish tank unit and possibly block up the gaps under my sofa. There isn't much furniture in my living room (I love simplistic!) but what is in there, I could do without the lads running under or chewing the wire :)

So I'm after something that can possibly help me achieve this new little playground for the boys! :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
You can either hang your wires up or PVC pipe them. As to under things, I fold up cardboard and block things that way. Cardboard PVC and duct tape may not look fashionable but that should protect everything.

My recommendation is to look up rabbit proofing as it is much the same.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hanging them up wouldn't do much as our TV stand in low and shelved & the plug point is low too. So maybe PVC pipe but we unplug things continuously from there so that may be a pain! Maybe folded up cardboard is going to be my saviour... I can always store it in our hobbit hole so. Possibilities!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't know how big the gap is under your TV stand and sofa but I use rolled up towels to stuff under places I don't want the rats to go. It's not very pretty, but then neither is cardboard. LOL The things we do for our babies.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh towels just wouldn't do it!! The gaps are ridiculous. I'm thinking of making a cardboard fence to go around the tv stand (so they cant get there but I can see the TV) and one around the sofa (high enough so they cant get it but I can sit on the sofa haha) :) I know aye? I'd be nice to be able to cuddle up on the sofa of a night with them :')

·
Registered
955 Posts
My tv stand is basically a ikea cube type thing that sits on the floor and is open the back and front. I used coroplast and 'gorilla tape' (really strong stuff) and taped a sheet to the back of the unit, with holes cut to let the wires come out. I also have another piece of coroplast that I just push into the space at the front, with a little piece of folded gorrilla tape on the top so I can easily pull it out and access my equipment,

Then I used cable tidies to secure any wires. http://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-Cable-Tidy-metres-Black/dp/B0001PY4FG

·
Registered
680 Posts
I took the legs off the sofa so it sits flat on the floor. It felt a little weird at first, because it was lower, but we got use to it. We're planning on putting a TV in that room too. For that I'm going to hang it on the wall (these flat TVs are great) and put a plug right behind it so they can't get to any of the cables.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts