Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I posted this in one of the other say hello threads.. but here is my problem...
My husband and I found tiny babies in a heavily squirrel populated area - so we assumed they were squirrel babies who had fallen from a nest. They were scattered in a gutter (clearly not in a nest) and covered in biting ants. We got the ants off of them, and warmed them as quickly as we could. ONE has survived the ordeal and seems to be thriving, but as it has started growing fur and its little nails are not turning black (like squirrel nails) we are sure we have a wild baby rat, not a squirrel. We had long term plans to rehab the squirrel and after research, found that the best thing to do would be build a nest box in our back yard and release it near our home. BUT with a wild rat, we are TOTALLY unsure what to do.
I had rats as pets before, but never a wild rat. If we did not have small children, I would not hesitate to just keep little "pinkynose" as my daughter has named it. I feel like we need to decide ASAP if we are going to release it around 6 weeks old, or keep it. It is currently 2 weeks. We have been holding it and hand/syringe feeding it, every 2-3 hours. If we are going to release it, we need to NOT hold it. ... but I feel so much affection for it, its going to be hard not to cuddle it. I worry about keeping a wild rat as a pet, though. I hear they retain much of their "wildness" and it might be jumpy and bitey and I just don't want that to be my children's first experience of a pet rat. ADVICE???

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
In my opinion, you should keep him/her as a pet, maybe get him a companion too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've seen people keep rattus rattus as pets as well as wild brown rats :) He may not live very long, but still may live longer with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts