Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little guys have been sneezing and what-not for the last week, occasionally making the odd wheeze it seems.
I am making an appointment for this weekend, but is there anything I can do to help for the meantime? Two of them have been spending a lot of time sleeping and not being very active, the other two are little crazy rats still. But I do not want them getting much worse before I can get them to the vet and get them some meds.
Which leads me to one more question, I can only afford to bring two of the four rats to the examination, if I want to be able to buy the meds as well. Do you think the antibiotics prescribed for the two could be enough to do the four of them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oil of oregano works well I find. I give 1 drop a day. As well as heat up a big mug of water for like 3 minutes and put it near the cage and add a few drops of oregano oil in it so as its evaporating, the smell is constant. It helps them breathe a little easier also.

You can find oregano oil in the health section at any costco for 13$. Echinacea works well also to boost their immune system. You can add it to their water or put a few drops into their food. Although, I would only use one of those at a time. I wouldn't combine them.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I second echanacia too, this is widley available as a tincture sold in healkth food shops. one drop per rat per day helps boost htere immune system. Im not sure how much it helps but it makes you feel like your helping.

In terms of meds , if you are going to give them antibiotics they really need a full course. However some vets will give you extra for rats at home, or for if they refuse to take it / spillages. It does depend on the vet though, my old vet let me make an appointment for one and would give me treatment for as many rats as were affected. My current vet wants to see each rat before she perscribes meds

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm.. the only Costco around here is in the next town, same as the vet, and I can't get there until the weekend. Could either of those be available at your local grocery store?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.