Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My Himalayan girl Gypsy has injured her tail.

The skin on her tail is broken or has a cut in it that goes just under halfway around .... it hasn't been de-gloved but if the cut gets any bigger then it will certainly be.

I have her on anti-biotics and a mild pain med but I wanted to see if there is anything else I can do or put on her tail to make her more comfortable. She is a total sweetie & starts licking my hand profusely if I try to examine her tail.....my guess is that is rat for please stop it hurts.

Do tail injuries heal fast?

Tail amputation is not an option as there is literally no Vet around here that will perform that on a rat. They all tell me the same thing.... Too Risky and/or too many complications can arise for that kind of procedure on a rat and they don't want to be held accountable on such a fragile animal. Then they refer me to another vet only to be told the same thing by that one....eventually I come full circle and get referred to the vet I started at.

Any advice would to help her would be very appreciated. After seeing her wince in pain when her cage-mates were standing on her tail, I moved her to my single story ferret condo so she wont be messed with or rough housed as most of her cage mates are rowdy youngins. Other than Sophie, my 11 month old Dumbo.... Gypsy is the sweetest and most tame girl I have and I want to do what I can for her.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You can give her infant ib profan for pain but you can only do it for 3 days. Antibiotics are great. Place 1/4 teaspoon into 8 ounces of warm water and using a q tip wash the injury 3 times a day till the wound closes. Get her on fleece if she isnt already. Change the fleece daily to help prevent infection. My foster Shakespeare came with 2 inches of his tail degloved and he healed beautifully.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Would she let you pack the wound with medical grade or Manuka honey?

I'm also a big fan of natural sea salt soaks (usually in the kosher section of the grocery store, if you can't find it elsewhere.)

I do several soaks a day, for wounds that are at risk, like that one. Then pack with honey.

I really wish you had access to a great vet, such a shame. My vet is a firm believer in these remedies, along with "Western" medicine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts