Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rescued 4 rats from becoming snake food yesterday morning and 2 of them are only 3-4 weeks old. I think that they were literally just removed from their mothers hours before I got them. They are very scared and not coming out of hiding to eat very well. I have put them in the warmest and quietest house in the room for now. What kinds of foods should I be offering them to try and encourage them to eat? I have never had a rat this freshly weaned before and I would appreciate any advice.
BTW - the two older ones are friendly and eating well so I have them separated from the younger boys at this time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well, when my baby rats started to grow, they gradually started eating solids. Try offering banana, avocado (not near the pit or skin!!!!), small seeds from rat food, anything that's often appealing to ratties. Keep normal rat food in there, too. One of my rats had oxbow baby food growing up, and she LOVED it! Then she started having adult oxbow food at about 10 weeks.

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
For babies that young they are capable of eating hard foods but will still benefit from extra wet food. The key is they need more protien, calcium etc than an adult. Depending what you feed normally it may need some additions to make sure if gives the babies what they need from a dry mix. As well as that i would give them at least one high protien ready meal a day, and possibly have a small mouse sized water bottle or bowl on hand with puppy milk or soy infant formula.

A high protien wet meal is something like;
Egg - scrambled, boiled and shelled, poached, cooked in a bit of rice or other carbs (one egg will do a few meals at this age)
puppy/kitten food - the best are natural ranges as they are less full of rubbish and additives
bird egg food - sold for growing/weaning birds, you make it up into a porridge with warm water or milk (puppy or soya is even better)
chicken - cooked on the bone is best, though it may be a week or two before they take to bones
fish - tinned fish in tomoato sauce or spring water goes down well.
Baby food - 7+ type age groups as it has more substance to it

I would also offer them a pinch of seweed powder on the wet meal about 2-3 times a week (or finley chopped nori sheets sold for sushi making), some salmon oil once a week (or failing that a cod liver oil capsual emptyed onto there food) and offer bones / cuttle bones at least once a week. Add in a small amount of kale or another drak green lefy veg a few times a week (build up slowly).This will help top up some of the key vitamins and minerals that young rats need to grow healthy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for your suggestions!! I do happen to have some wet cat food, baby food and bird formula available to me and so far they have eaten some of the bird formula. Will offer some cat food and baby food as well.
Also the high protein foods you mentioned aren't hard to come by and will do some shopping this evening.
Poor little things are just so frightened right now :(

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
One thing to add is by 5 weeks you want to separate by genders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice - I am almost positive I have 4 boys. Three of them have obvious testicles - the tiny one is the only one I am questioning right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts