Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tats are currently on oxbow regal rat and I've heard that agree are healthier cheaper options. So I want to know what a good diet would be for my rats. What do you guys use. Also I'm on fleece and I just noticed that my rats are acting sneezy. Like they look and act completely healthy but I will go near the cage and they will start sneezing. Please help. I don't really know what it is.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The sneezing may be from laundry detergent, fabric softener or dryer sheets if it's not accompanied by any rasping, wheezing or gurgling noises coming from their noses or lungs (do the rat phone on them, if you hear noise in the lungs take them to the vet asap). Wash your fleece with only fragrance free detergent and forego any softener or dryer sheets and that may help. If they start sneezing when they're in contact with your clothes then you might want to set aside a set of clothes to wear when you've got them out that you've washed the same way you'd wash their fleece. Some perfumes or scented lotion may also aggravate their noses. As far as food, there's probably not a cheaper option than oxbow if you want to be sure they're getting what they need. If you're currently buying the small bags of food and have the space for a large bag, it's cheaper to buy in bulk online. You may need to freeze some of it depending on how slowly you go through it though, so freezer space is something to consider.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never thought about the detergent and they only sneeze inside the cage. Now I need to think about. Better detergents. Have any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've just realized how bad my spelling and grammer were. What I ment to say was that I've heard of heathyer homemade food. Sorry about that

·
Registered
581 Posts
I use a hypo-allergenic, unscented, sensitive brand and no dryer sheets when I wash my rat things. I've never noticed a problem stemming from the cage/liners...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Most detergents that are made for babies are fragrance free and you can get them in store brands. I do make my own food mix, but after all I add to it I'm pretty sure it's much more expensive than oxbow lol. One thing that I could probably do to cut down on cost is buy a dehydrator to do my own veggies and fruit instead of buying them already dried.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll probably buy a dehidrator also beacause I love dried fruit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts