Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering how I should free roam my rats. I usually let my rats Cosmo and India just explore (with me) my room for a little bit, but it is hard with two crazy little siblings and cats. Also, even though my stepmom let have Cosmo and India, she is a little wary of letting them outside the cage. Is there any way I can make an enclosed area where (1) no cats can get in and (2) they can't escape or get things too messy? I only have limited supplies and money, so it can't be too hard. I know you guys are experts and thank you so much for reading this.馃悁

Registered
The easiest thing to do is [rat-proof] a small room like a bathroom. You can keep the rats in and the cats out by closing the door. You can also cover your bed or a table with an old blanket to create a play area. Rats generally don't jump off of surfaces if they can't see how far the fall is.

You can make a playpen out of cardboard and duct tape. Old boxes work fine. Cardboard can be taped together so it can easily be folded up when not in use. You can also use dollar store presentation boards. I'd suggest playpen walls 28" or taller. You can cover the edges with duct tape if your rats are chewing on it.

Registered
The easiest thing to do is [rat-proof] a small room like a bathroom. You can keep the rats in and the cats out by closing the door. You can also cover your bed or a table with an old blanket to create a play area. Rats generally don't jump off of surfaces if they can't see how far the fall is.

You can make a playpen out of cardboard and duct tape. Old boxes work fine. Cardboard can be taped together so it can easily be folded up when not in use. You can also use dollar store presentation boards. I'd suggest playpen walls 28" or taller. You can cover the edges with duct tape if your rats are chewing on it.
So do rats have poor vision? And what on average is a far fall for them? I am curious....

Registered
Yep, rats are pretty near sighted. I you use a bed, cover it with an old blanket that you don't mind getting peed on and tuck it under the mattress tightly. Most rats won't jump off a taller bed. If you pull the chairs away from a table, that would work, too.

A couch is generally low enough that your rats will jump off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts