Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I wrote about Jack's situation yesterday:
http://ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=6595.html

I am supposed to give him .05cc of Metacam and .2cc of Chloramphenicol twice a day for ten days. BUT he won't take it! He won't hold still for me to put it in his mouth, and I've tried mixing it with food and he won't touch it. He'll just eat around it. :roll: His appetite is normal, he just won't eat anything with the meds.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
what have you tried mixing it with so far?

I can get mine to take down most meds with either yogurt or oatmeal or a combo of both

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Yoghurt is the way I go. Mine will now eat the medicine straight from the syringe if the tip of the syringe is coated in yoghurt.

I also medicate through the bars of the cage - as they feel safer inside the cage and the 'odd' taste of their treat doesn't freak them.

Are you feeding all 0.5ccs at the same time? Perhaps try 5 consecutive doses of 0.1cc. That's a lot of med-taste to compensate for in food. If I were you, I would get an egg cup and pour a little babyfood yoghurt (or whatever you want to use) into the bottom of it, add 0.1cc of whichever you are giving, mix and see if he will eat it. If he does, just give him more to equal the total dosage. It may take slightly longer to give to him, but you should be able to ensure that he's eating it that way. Just an idea :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the same problem a while back. She wouldn't even take it mixed with the usual suspects: no yogurt, no apple sauce, no nothing.

Eventually I bought a bag of chocolate ship cookies, and broke off small pieces of the cookie each day and saturated it with the meds... cookie soaks up a surprising amount of liquid without falling apart. She gobbled that right up, and got her full dose of meds with it.

It turned meds into a treat. I'm sure it wasn't the best way to do it, but a small piece of cookie probably has no more sugar/calories than a yogurt treat... not good for her, definitely, but she wouldn't take her meds any other way and this made it SO easy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! It was .05ccs, so half a cc, which isn't much. The .2ccs of the other med seems like a lot.

I had tried regular food, banana chips (which are treats, I don't give them yogies or anything else sugary), granola, yogurt....but bits of peanut butter cookies seemed to be the way :) Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I gave Dotty hers in either a bit of toast or in some baby food on a spoon.
Altho when it came to Baytril, they all used to eat round the bit with the Baytril on/in it.

When I explained to my vet how I gave Dotty her meds tho, she didn't seem happy about the fact I gave it her in food, as apparently she might not have been having the full amount...Yet I explained, I stood and watched her eat every single bit and had put the full dosage in the treat :?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Emster said:
When I explained to my vet how I gave Dotty her meds tho, she didn't seem happy about the fact I gave it her in food, as apparently she might not have been having the full amount...Yet I explained, I stood and watched her eat every single bit and had put the full dosage in the treat :?
Funny. My vet is the same way. Some of my more 'troublesome' candidates get theirs in babyfood left overnight in their cage (1/4 of an eggcup full) and then during the day. Usually within half an hour it's gone (eaten). But when I happened to mention this to my vet, he gave me the same response. It's not as if something else runs in and eats it for them. Maybe there's a medicine fairy somewhere? o_O

1 - 8 of 8 Posts