Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our rat big Bertha gave berth about 3 weeks ago to 11 babies and they are all healthy. Recently however, one rat got singled out by about 5 or 6 other babies and they ate her ear and left a pretty big injury on the head by the ear. I have wrapped it up and attempted to sterilize but I have no idea what to do next? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
898 Posts
So sorry to hear this! Separate her immediately and keep the wound clean with a betadine solution, or if you don't have that, make a sterile saline solution. Rats will heal pretty good on their own if infection doesn't set in. I wouldn't wrap it or cover it for now. Please post pictures if you can. But it's most concerning that this happened with a family group, because she may end up being picked on by the others in the future. Called a 'pecking party', where one starts chewing or biting another, and the rest just join in and do it too. They see a wound or blood, and they all start 'pecking' at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. I will add a few images to the post. We have had them separated for a time and the only rat that won’t bother her is her mother. Any information on further action would be appreciated

As you can see the ear is completely gone and there is some damage at the base of the ear. She's eating and drinking fine but she still seems extremely terrified. She is 3 and a half weeks and is just about to start weaning off her mother but still might need milk. too scared to put her back with other babies. Thanks again for all the help!
So sorry to hear this! Separate her immediately and keep the wound clean with a betadine solution, or if you don't have that, make a sterile saline solution. Rats will heal pretty good on their own if infection doesn't set in. I wouldn't wrap it or cover it for now. Please post pictures if you can. But it's most concerning that this happened with a family group, because she may end up being picked on by the others in the future. Called a 'pecking party', where one starts chewing or biting another, and the rest just join in and do it too. They see a wound or blood, and they all start 'pecking' at it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thanks for the pic, the poor little thing!! Still nursing, needs her mom. Is it possible to bring Mom to her for nursing several times a day for a few days? That would give her some time to heal, because the other babies are gonna go for the wound. But I think she will recover just fine from this injury, and have a story to tell ;)

It doesn't look deep, so you can dress it with an antibiotic cream. If she'll let you, cut the fur from around the wound with scissors to keep it from matting in the blood. To cover it, try snipping the top of a sock or sleeve of a baby shirt. You can slip it over her head and have it cover the whole side of her face, and hope it stays in place. You could even make a little 'turtleneck' sweater, make two holes for her front legs and have the turtleneck come up to the front of her face. Use surgical tape to keep it snug and in place. I used socks to make little sweaters for my parrot who pluck his feathers.

Reactions: Rats4All
1 - 4 of 4 Posts