Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 female rats and one of them started to get scabs on her back a couple weeks ago now and I tried lots of things to stop this but nothing worked over time it has just got worse and she now has a massive scab like the size of a grape on her back and there seems to be nothing I can do about it she keeps itching it so it can’t heal either I have separated my two rats in to different cages because the other one would bite her and make it worse but they still see each other just only when I’m there anyways does anybody know of any solutions if so please respond it would mean a lot thanks x

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh that looks very bad! It seems like a wound to me maybe from play fighting with his cage mate and when the wound tried to heal he kept scratching it causing it to get bigger? have u tried seeing a vet yet since everything you tried didnt work. Oh and maybe just a suggestion you could try to bandage it till u have an appointment with the vet so he doesn't scratch it more. Also if u gently touch it does he seem to be in pain?

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
239 Posts
Most of us are not veterinarians. Go to a vet, it should be the first thing you do when something like this happens. I really do wish that your rat gets better, and she might have mites (I doubt it though). If it is mites, then you can apply extra virgin olive oil. If you see her licking or grooming the scab, let her because rats’ have bacteria fighting abilities in their spit! Also, are you sure that the other rat was actually biting? Sometimes rats will groom each other, which could possibly help the scab.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's a very nasty wound! Is she able to groom that area herself? If not try putting Vaseline on the wound to lessen the agitation. If it still gets worse when she's alone see a vet.
Edit: of course, in not a professional vet, so you might want to see a vet regardless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 2 female rats and one of them started to get scabs on her back a couple weeks ago now and I tried lots of things to stop this but nothing worked over time it has just got worse and she now has a massive scab like the size of a grape on her back and there seems to be nothing I can do about it she keeps itching it so it can’t heal either I have separated my two rats in to different cages because the other one would bite her and make it worse but they still see each other just only when I’m there anyways does anybody know of any solutions if so please respond it would mean a lot thanks x View attachment 303176
Oh that looks very bad! It seems like a wound to me maybe from play fighting with his cage mate and when the wound tried to heal he kept scratching it causing it to get bigger? have u tried seeing a vet yet since everything you tried didnt work. Oh and maybe just a suggestion you could try to bandage it till u have an appointment with the vet so he doesn't scratch it more. Also if u gently touch it does he seem to be in pain?
yes whenever I touch it she jumps out of her skin

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have a rat (twisted) who has that same problume but the females are fighting so thats what probubly happened to your rat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts