Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the vet the other day because my rat pepsi stopped using her back leg.She had a steroid shot and is on two medications.She has started having issues with the other leg too,she sort of walks with both feet dragging instead of with the bottom of her foot on the ground.Has anyone had a similar issue,and is there anything I can do to improve her quality of life or help her?

·
Registered
Boba, Theo and Diego
93 Posts
This sounds like hind leg degeneration. Is she over a 1.5 yrs old? It's pretty common for older rats, more so males than females but still pretty common. If she's any younger than that she might have fell from the cage and broke some bones but I would guess your vet had checked for that. Was the vet not able to answer what the problem with Pepsi was? They'd have a better idea than most of us honestly. I hope Pepsi is okay though! ):

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sounds like hind leg degeneration. Is she over a 1.5 yrs old? It's pretty common for older rats, more so males than females but still pretty common. If she's any younger than that she might have fell from the cage and broke some bones but I would guess your vet had checked for that. Was the vet not able to answer what the problem with Pepsi was? They'd have a better idea than most of us honestly. I hope Pepsi is okay though! ):
She is ok for now,it might be HLD and I've been taking her to the vet.Im just trying to think of ways to make this easier and comfier for her since she can't get around as well anymore.She still seems happy!Vet says she needs to gain weight though.She gets fed regularly and is the only one I have that needs to gain some.I might start offering her some other foods to supplement what she already eats

·
Registered
RIP Biscuit, Bandit, Sage, Mink, & Shadow
451 Posts
That's almost certainly HLD, and unfortunately, there is no cure. 3 of my 5 rats had to be euthanized due to HLD, as their quality of life slowly drops and they may start to go into kidney/organ failure. They will lose a lot of weight and have a lot of muscle wasting around the hindquarters. The best thing to do is make sure they have constant, easy access to food and water, and to make everything in the cage easy to access. As it progresses she will find it harder and harder to grip onto things, so make sure the cage setup is simple, easy to navigate, and safe. Add lots of ramps and make sure the bedding is soft as her body will be dragging on it. Swap wood pellets for newspaper and/or fleece. She may enjoy free time in a large, flat area, like a bedroom. Give her high-calorie, soft food like baby food to help her keep some weight on, and as it progresses she may find it hard to hold food. The saddest thing about HLD is mentally they're often still there, and their bodies are just failing them. My advice is this: do not leave it too long. It is best to rather let go of a rat with HLD a little too early than a little too late... I left it a day too late with one of my boys and he had a seizure....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also,any tips getting her to take meds,she hates her vibramycin.She squeaks like I'm hurting her and smears it all over her chin and refuses to eat it:(
I'm not being too rough with her,she just hates that particular medicine.Her other one she takes fine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts