Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello rat forum! Was wondering if anybody had tips on how to get rats used to handling? Currently, I let them sit in my lap with a treat while I gently pet them while they eat. However, it doesn't work very long and they start trying to explore their room and or run to their cage. Any ideas on how to get them more used to petting and holding?

Food Vertebrate Product Mammal Carnivore

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi. first of all your rat is so cute and looks EXACTLY like mine! second, I sadly can't help a lot because something kind of traumatic happened when my rats were young so handling them was hard after that, but I do recommend malt paste, my rats love the stuff! that might help and maybe they could lick it off of your hand. sorry I am not of much help here

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
All rats are different when it comes to their tolerance to handling.It is important to be able to pick them up without them panicking,and for them to be able to trust you.It sounds like you have achieved that already if they will come and sit in your lap for a while.After the basic trust training is established I tend to handle the rats on their terms.They are more likely to approach you if you if you just hang out with them and let them come and go to you when they want.They will change as they mature too.Some rats never want much fuss,some will get cuddly over time and some are attention seekers.I would quietly observe for now,and work out your rats different personalities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts