Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think one of my rats is a bully and I don't know how to fix it. I own four boys, all adopted from the same litter. Everything was fine when they were little, but as they've grown up, one of the rats, Robin, has become aggressive towards his litter mates. In particular, he seems to bother one of the other rats, Blondel, most of all.

After an incident durning playtime where Robin bit both Blondel and another rat hard enough to draw blood, Blondel has been extremely fearful of Robin, and will often try to flee or scream loudly when Robin approaches him. Usually, partway through playtime Robin will approach Blondel, which will cause Blondel to run up on my shoulders for protection and refuse to come back down for the rest of the play session.

Tonight, however, there was a confrontation before I entered their play pen. I tried to let them just fight it out, but Robin did not stop pursuing Blondel even after pinning him. Blondel was once again bitten hard enough to draw blood, at which point I removed Robin and put him back in the cage. They aren't always antagonistic to each other (I've seen them sleeping together in the cage) but I can't keep letting Blondel get bitten like this. Is there anything I can do to make Robin chill out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It could be that the aggressive rat is experiencing hormonal aggression. You'll want to separate him from the others ASAP. It's possible that he'll start drawing blood from you. It could help to get him neutered. While he's healing and his hormones are settling down you'll probably have to keep him separated. If neutering doesn't work you'll either have to continue housing him alone of put him to sleep(which I know can be really tough, especially with a younger rat). If you can't afford a neutering at the moment just keep him separated until you can. He can do some serious damage to the other boys if you don't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts