Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a new little rat today and he sneezes a lot and then also he has red poop and I was wondering if anyone could help also can u give them flavoured sun flour seeds/spits

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sometimes rats will sneeze for a few days once they get home due to being in a new place with new smells that they aren't use to. As for the poop.. did you see the food the pet store was feeding them? I'm not sure if it's the same but I know atlest with my mice whenever they have a food with bits of dyed food in it, their poop changes to that color, that's assuming it works the same. Give them a day or so on the food you have for them, i wouldn't recommend any new veggies while they adjust to the new food so you can watch to see if the colors change. For the seeds.. I'm not sure? I know it's not good for a solid diet..but I'm not sure for a treat.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you mean will flavored sunglower seeds hurt them probubly not but they wouldnt be very healthy and they are salty. To much salt is never a good thing. You can find unsalted sunflower seeds, usually with bird stuff at some stores/feed stores. We had a small bag we added to their treat mix and they like them a lot. As for the poo if it is streaks or looks like blood I would take them to the vet asap. If its uniformly it may be diet and I would watch it for a day or two then vet if it doesn't change.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sunflower seeds are high in fat. The safest ones are the black and white ones still in their shell. These are ok if given from time to time. Not salted, sugary or colored ones. Beetroot can make them have red poops. If you suspect it's blood and not from food, I would take them to the vet asap.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes rats will sneeze for a few days once they get home due to being in a new place with new smells that they aren't use to. As for the poop.. did you see the food the pet store was feeding them? I'm not sure if it's the same but I know atlest with my mice whenever they have a food with bits of dyed food in it, their poop changes to that color, that's assuming it works the same. Give them a day or so on the food you have for them, i wouldn't recommend any new veggies while they adjust to the new food so you can watch to see if the colors change. For the seeds.. I'm not sure? I know it's not good for a solid diet..but I'm not sure for a treat.
Thx so much also his poop is now black thx for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts