Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my rat Ash is still sneezing but it started to decrease. And i had him on my shoulder for a Bit and then put him in his cage then he started sneezing and making a weird noise it kinda sounds like a ginny pig anyone no whats going on?

·
Registered
952 Posts
You need to take him to a vet. For future reference aspen needs to be frozen for 24-48 hours before using it to kill parasites. He has a URI from what you are describing and needs antibiotics. Batryil is good but Amoxicillian is better. You need to completely scrub everything down with a 1/2 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water then spray it down let it dry then spray it again with water. Scrub the whole area with the bleach water this includes tables, floor everything. It isnt a mite as you cant see mites. I have no idea what that bug is maybe someone else will .

·
Registered
664 Posts
Looks like lice. Sift through his fur around the back and rump area and you'll probably find more of them. Also if he isn't white, you will be able to see what looks like a fine coat of dandruff/dust looking stuff stuck to the tips of the hairs. Those would be the lice nits. He and most likely all of the rats he has come into contact with need to be treated with either ivermectin horse worming paste or kitten/cat revolution.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to take him to a vet. For future reference aspen needs to be frozen for 24-48 hours before using it to kill parasites. He has a URI from what you are describing and needs antibiotics. Batryil is good but Amoxicillian is better. You need to completely scrub everything down with a 1/2 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water then spray it down let it dry then spray it again with water. Scrub the whole area with the bleach water this includes tables, floor everything. It isnt a mite as you cant see mites. I have no idea what that bug is maybe someone else will .
I got stuff for the mites and for the sneezing it's starting to really decrease he hardly does it but he does it ever couple hours or more.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I got stuff for the mites and for the sneezing it's starting to really decrease he hardly does it but he does it ever couple hours or more.
Mites are not visible to the human eye. These are not mites. And that much sneezing is too much. It could be dust from the aspen. Wood shavings just like care fresh carry small particles which can be breathed in by your rat because they basically have their nose in it all the time. Have you considered fleece? Its washable and much cheaper then buying bedding all the time. Easy to clean too just throw it in the wash with some vinegar and you are good to go. I would still consult a vet

·
Registered
664 Posts
May I ask what stuff you're using for the lice problem?

·
Registered
320 Posts
A pet store gave me some kinds bird stuff actually I can't think of the name of it right now but I'll share a pic after
Um, your reply here worries me.

Most pet store clerks don't really know their stuff, sorry. They believe what they are taught by their store owners or managers, and the pet supply reps that market to them.

You really can't just substitute their "advice" for a vet's diagnosis.

That looks like a louse, and it's probable your rat is infested with lice--a bird mite product isn't going to cut it, and may even be unsafe. You can cause kidney and liver damage, with toxic pesticides, as well as neurological side effects.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts