Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

can anyone help me?

i have 2 rats at the age of about 15 week old, every morning i get up and feed them and there both there greeting me, but this morning only one of them came, my baby bell was stil in her bed, my first impressions was she was dead, so i took her out and saw she was breathing but just her wiskers moving.

i sat her on my knee and she wouldnt move, she was just sat there, i tried giving her food but she wouldnt take it, i had to go to school then so i left her in a seperate cage away from my other rat as i heard they eat each other if they are unwell,when i placed her down, she started rocking from side to side, i only saw her do this twice but she has never done this before. when i came home she was fine, nothing wrong with her, she was jumping about and eating ect..when i added her to the other cage she seemed fine with jess..my other rat....but she keeps falling off the bars and the platform instead of jumping.

can anybody help me?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
yes, a stroke is possbile but the quick recovery is a bit unusal,however that she recovered at all seems to be a good sign that its not a pituary tumor. check the size of eyes in comparison to her other eye though just in case. if one is larger then the other its likely a tumor. it could also be a simple ear infection. a stroke you can adapt the cage and with careful treatment bell can be almost completely back to normal though you may not want to trust her balance enough to let her be a shoulder rat. a tumor is fatal however their are some steroids you can try to prolong her life but its still going to be a short life. if its an inner ear infection that's completely treatable and curable if caught early enough. to sum up, take your ratto the vet to get her checked out.

as far as the other rat eating her if she's ill, that's entirely an old wives tale. it may be true for some mothers to eat a sickly or dead pinkie baby if she's not getting enough food any other rat will not do this. so long as the illness isn't contagious and the current cage isn't dangerous for an unbalanced rat then i wouldn't bother separating them. they will feel better to be together rather then separated. rats are highly socail creatures,much like humans and do not do well in isolation, again much like humans.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks evryone, but sadly she passed away yesterday, im thinking her illness was something to do with it....well at least she's at rest now...:(

·
Registered
814 Posts
So sorry about your little one :( :'(.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts