Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family had a 2-day swimming trip. We left the rats in the usual manner(enough food, water, toys)

I just got back a few minutes ago and I found one of my male rats(I have two) looking so beat up. He has several wounds on his back and one on his testicles. The blood stains were still there though they've dried up. He also has a swollen left cheek and disjoint lower teeth. In short, he's in pretty bad shape. I don't know why this happened because we've always left them and they never turned out like this before.

They've always had fights but this is the first time blood was drawn.

It's sad. But at least both my females are perfectly well.

I'm planning on seeing a vet on Monday(It's Saturday night here, and no vets on Sundays) to get him checked out. I'm worried about him, especially his disjoint lower teeth. I don't know how he'll eat the usual stuff.

Anyway, can anyone tell me something that might be useful? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
981 Posts
There's really not much more to say. He definitely needs to go to a vet.

The only thing I can mention is that a rat's lower jaw isn't one piece, so the two bottom teeth can move around pretty easily. As such, his lower teeth might be perfectly fine, but only a vet will be able to tell you.

I've never heard of rats being so violent towards each other. They will definitely need to be separated after this until you can get the violent one neutered (Or, if you don't want to do that, he'll have to be a single rat)

The females are separate from the males, correct?

P.S. - In the future, this probably should have been in Rat Health

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, females are separated from males. I don't want babies.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If the males where by the females to get a scent of them they could have tried to fight for the girls don't have them to close to each other but do take him to the vet to make sure its not serious!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Get him to the vet, maybe try feeding him baby food/ensure in the meantime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts