Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Haha. Ditto. There seems to be a ton, but I'm not sure how much I trust any of them. And they mostly seem to specialize in blue dumbos o_o'. Don't get me wrong, I love blue dumbos, but I still love black selfs and PEWs! I know Stephanie also knows of a rescue and often fosters rats, so that would be a good way to go too!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks and yea I've been trying to find shelters also, but it's hard lol. They have some babies for adoption with no charge at Petsmart and I feel so bad for them, their in an aquarium with little space and a dirty cage it's disgusting, If I knew of people who would take them in and take care of them I'd take all of them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would love to have a black self or one with brown hair that changes to silver at the tips. It isn't hard to find hairless, hooded, dumbo, but it is hard to find selfs... oh, and petco has a bunch of PEWs since they sell their rodents primarily as feeders.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Which Petsmart Viishuz?

I don't really want to go through a petstore though, unless it was the one I bought Betty from, but I don't want another girl (and before anyone reams me about it; I plan on getting Betty spayed before I get boys and the boys neutered afterwards). I would love to find a good breeder in the area, but no one has recommended one! lol.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would do the neutering before the spaying. Seriously. I think the spaying is a risky operation on a rat. Neutering too... it is better to keep it same sex... for the health of the rats.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Both procedures have some risk, as with any surgery at all. But spaying is very beneficial for female rats. It reduces the chance of developing tumors by some crazy-high number - and also a high number of rats get tumors at some point (I think nearly 50%). So I would encourage spaying, rather than discouraging it. If I could afford it, I would have all of my girls spayed. You just need to find a good vet with experience doing rat spays and neuters.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lostbutnotforgot: where'd you get your rat?

And the petco is the one on Greenback, by auburn.

So no one klnows of good breeders here?

And thanks about the siggy, I made it with picture it =) a very crappy but useful program haha.

·
Registered
418 Posts
viishuz said:
lostbutnotforgot: where'd you get your rat?

So no one klnows of good breeders here?
I got my girl at a Petsmart on Sunrise* (I think!). It's the one near Sunrise Mall. I've been fairly pleased with their rats, it's at least better in my opinion than most of the pet stores in the area, though I know it's not the greatest.

And I will eventually find a good breeder, but since I'm still a ways from being able to buy another rat, I haven't been looking too much (I look at the babies, fall in love and then have to convince myself that I cannot have another one right now).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh wow. cool. I'm gonna go over there tomorrow =) Never been to that one... Very cool thankssss

1 - 11 of 11 Posts