Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just today I was playing with one of my ratties, Hero, and he climbed onto my arm and ran as fast as he could and jumped off my arm onto the floor. I spent a good ten minutes chasing him around my room, and when I caught him, he was quite afraid and for the first time he squeaked when I held him! I put him back in his cage and now whenever I put my hand near him he freezes up or runs away. I'm quite upset with this because I had made a lot of progress with him! Now, he won't even take the treats out of my hand when I offer him one! What should I do?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just continue trust training as you normally would, but make sure to stay calm and quiet around him for a little while. He's probably still a little shocked, so make sure to give him extra treats when he's around you. Also, I'd suggest making sure that you only play with him in a rat-proofed free range area until he's more used to you again, since when a rat knows how to escape, they'll more likely try twice as hard, and be really determined. Don't give up! This happened to me with one of my girls, Bea (well, she escaped the cage, but she acted the same as Hero afterwards) and it could take a couple weeks to get back to where you are. He'll calm down, just continue as you've been doing :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Yep set backs are a normal part of trust training, you wont have lost all the progress, it will just take a little bit longer for him to get back to the point he was then improve. I've got to say I limit free ranging to a small area until they are very happy being picked up as much for there own safety as to help build a closer bond

·
Registered
119 Posts
What I would suggest is to possibly clear the floor and let him have some free-range time so he can be used to the area in case this ever happens again in the future! He was likely startled and felt a bit lost and therefor was a bit more nervous when you picked him up. If you hang out with him in the area a ton it would be good for him to know it a bit better so if he ever does get out again he will know where he is and come back to you more readily than before.
Another recommendation of mine would be that if he is nervous when he "escapes" give him some time and some gentle luring before you reach for him. Having some treats and water out and just sitting on the floor being calm and relaxed would give him a setup in which he could approach you confidently and calmly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts