Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 rats, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 1 rabbit
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so as you may know, my rat nicodemus and a very large lump in front of his back right leg and it is making it very hard for him to, walk, drink water, (the drinking isn’t as bad as you think, he can get his water but it’s a little hard. Nothing I’m worried about) going up and down the ramp in his cage, getting into his favorite place ever his space pod, and even snuggling with my other rats. When ever nicodemus is in his space pod, his brothers usually want to join too. But nicodemus is old and fragile and my other rats don’t realize that. They walk all over him like they use to do, and he squeaks every time they move because they’re mostly crushing him. It pains me to take my other rats, Frodo and Gimli away from their snuggles but I feel like I have to do it if they’re crushing nicodemus.
Nicodemus also has 0 grip left in him, like if he was chilling on my leg and one of his feet was over the edge, then he would be slowly sliding down instead of gripping onto my leg and pulling himself back up.
I feel like I should take him to the vet to get that darn lump removed, but then again my family and I know that that’s a lot of money, and he probably doesn’t have much time. At this point, I miss him already. What should I do?

Here is a picture of his lump. I feel like it’s getting bigger and bigger each day
Cat Ear Felidae Gesture Carnivore

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
How old is Nicodemus? And how long has he had this lump? You may want to move him to another cage with an older cage mate, let him live his life without being bothered by the others. I'm still new to this 'end of life' decisions, and how to handle the old guys when it gets difficult for them to get around.

·
Registered
3 rats, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 1 rabbit
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is Nicodemus? And how long has he had this lump? You may want to move him to another cage with an older cage mate, let him live his life without being bothered by the others. I'm still new to this 'end of life' decisions, and how to handle the old guys when it gets difficult for them to get around.
Well.. he’s about 2 yrs and 3 months now. And maybe he’s had his for like a couple months? I’m not sure.
and.. I would move into a different cage with another older rat, but his brother Templeton passed away recently, and I only have small travel cage that I wouldn’t want him living in. I don’t want him to be in a small cage, or even a bigger cage if I could afford one, all by himself.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My personal opinion about getting the lump removed is that at his age it would be quite risky and hard on him. It's more like - the term Tinytoes used - an end of life care situation, keeping him comfortable until the signs of his deterioration tell you it could be time to say goodbye and consider euthanasia. Isamu rat care has a helpful video about when to say goodbye - this video helped me make a decision like this a while back. Perhaps it will help you as well. All the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts