Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone :)
My name is Alex ;D I'm 16 years old and strange.
I'm artistic, queer, the only thing I've ever kissed is my rats, and I wear a lot of black lace ;D

I have owned rats for about 1 1/2 years, I have two at the moment, one is one of the first two rats I've ever owned, and the other is a new little family member (unfortunately, my older one's sister passed away over the summer due to a respiratory infection attacking her nervous system:().
The two rats I have now are named Raven and Magick, and they are both blue hooded fancies :)

I love my rats, I trust them more than my own family. But I can be a crappy mom sometimes. My problem is procrastination and forgetfulness, and it's not just a problem when it comes to my rats; schoolwork, cleaning, anything. I often don't play with my rats or clean their cages on time not because I don't want to (I actually quite enjoy cleaning their cages, haha) but because I keep saying "I'll do it in 10 minutes" because I want to finish a drawing or whatever I might be doing, then I look up and realize it's 10:00 at night when I was supposed to do something at 3:00. Because of that, my new rat isn't very socialized, even though I've had her for almost 2 months, and my older rattie, though she is very attached to me, doesn't get enough playtime, and their cage often goes a day or two longer than it should uncleaned. I often forget to get their nails clipped often enough, or I forget to wipe down their platforms every day.
My grades have suffered because of my procrastination, my rats have, and in turn, my own mental health and moods have because I feel so guilty about putting things off but still don't do anything, and the feeling of not getting anything done is very stressful, yet I STILL don't do anything.

I'm determined to be a better mommy to my rats, and I actually just finished cleaning their cage ;D
I beat myself up about what a terrible owner I've been, but I know I need to realize I can't change how many playtimes I've skipped or cleanings I've pushed back. I always said I want to own a lot of pets when I get older- and I do. I love animals, understand. And I don't MEAN to skip playtimes or cleanings- but I can't exactly take my rats out to play at 11:30 at night.....
I can't change what I have and haven't done, but I can change what I do today :)
Understand I don't put off playtimes or cleanings because I don't enjoy them- playtime is one of the happiest times for me. It's simply because I don't have a very good sense of time and time management, so I'll say I'll do something 20 minutes and then 2 hours will go by and I'll only think it's been 10 minutes (I don't look at the clock enough...)

My babies mean everything to me, and I truly want to be better for them. And so I will.
I need to kick this procrastination habit NOW, because I'm getting worse and worse, to the point where lately I barely do anything- I don't even feel motivated to do art, and you have to realize that with me, if I don't want to do art I'm either dying or already dead. It makes me really irritable and stressed knowing I'm putting things off. I know that if I truly want to own a lot of pets when I get older I need to be able to manage my time better- and that's my dream, to own a lot of rescues :)

So here's to being better :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Deciding that you want to do better is the first step to doing it... From another busy teen, alarms are your savior :) I wouldn't remember to do anything without them. Also make it easy for yourself! I have easy to set up free range blockades in my room so I can just grab my basket of toys and get the room set up in like 5 mins, then play with the ratties :)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hello welcome to the forum :) I love your rats names!

It can be hard to stay on schedule and take care of things that need to be done. I am bipolar and so I definitely feel that. Having a routine helps alot. It may feel silly but writing down a specific schedule and list can really help. You will seriously have to push yourself to follow it at first but once it becomes a routine it does get easier. I also find doing stuff earlier in the day makes sure it gets done.

You may also be going through some depression when you talk about putting stuff off that you enjoy doing. Talking to a counselor or therapist can be very helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hello welcome to the forum :) I love your rats names!

It can be hard to stay on schedule and take care of things that need to be done. I am bipolar and so I definitely feel that. Having a routine helps alot. It may feel silly but writing down a specific schedule and list can really help. You will seriously have to push yourself to follow it at first but once it becomes a routine it does get easier. I also find doing stuff earlier in the day makes sure it gets done.

You may also be going through some depression when you talk about putting stuff off that you enjoy doing. Talking to a counselor or therapist can be very helpful.
Thank you so much! Haha, yes I am writing out schedules now, and it really does help :)

Actually, I'm autistic and I have ADHD, so that lends itself to my problem xD

Aww, thank you x3 I always pick weird pet names, but I think they're pretty :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum!
Deciding that you want to do better is the first step to doing it... From another busy teen, alarms are your savior :) I wouldn't remember to do anything without them. Also make it easy for yourself! I have easy to set up free range blockades in my room so I can just grab my basket of toys and get the room set up in like 5 mins, then play with the ratties :)
Thank you so much! :)
Haha, I just throw a blanket over my bed, grab some toys and flop my fluffballs down on the bed xD
Yeah, that's a great idea. My main problem is I don't always have my phone with me, and the ringer is almost never on- I've actually tried alarms, but I always just ignored them and said "I'll do it in a few minutes" haha.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah I have the same problem with my phone. I actually use google calendar because I am often using my laptop XD I have the alarms set to pop up 10 minutes before the thing so I have time to wrap up what I am doing. Then again when it's time to do it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!
I don't think you are a bad mom. Bad moms don't realize their mistakes, and you are doing the opposite of that!
You seem very motivated to change, and I definitely believe you'll stop procrastinating!
Best of luck! xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts