Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My two sons (age 10 and 7) and I have had our 2 rats for just over two weeks now. We sure love these little guys! Things are going well, mostly due to the great advice I read here! One little thing that is puzzling me is the little nibbles we get from one of our guys. Sometimes it is barely a graze, sometimes it's a little harder. He has never broken the skin but my youngestchild is pretty scared of him now :/ We've tried saying NO! sternly when he nips, also squeaking and I personally have tapped him on the nose a couple times but the kids can never remember to do it in the moment, and I tell them it is pointless to do it otherwise. I'm ot really sure where to go from here. If I find out it is completely normal and to just let him nibble w/ no consequences then I may be able to convince my scared child it is ok... but if the nips gets harder maybe not. Any advice???

·
Registered
19 Posts
My two rats did this as well. Especially one of them. They always nibbled on my fingernails and toes. I dont know why, i never did figure it out. I don't really have any advice on getting them to stop because I never tried, but be assured that I never had any problems with damage. It never even really hurt though it startled me on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
624 Posts
As long as they're not breaking the skin, you honestly shouldn't worry. A Rattie can determine the pressure they're using and can easily draw blood.
Rats will nibble/lick your fingers for a few reasons: Grooming (That means you're a part of their squad), you just had some yummy food and they're tasting it, or they're licking the natural salt.

My boys do this ALL the time. Not worry, he likes your son! If your rats are younger and are biting harder than expected, it's because they're probably still learning what you and your sons taste like and realizing you're not all just food. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts