Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I tend to just creep on forums and rarely ever actually post but I think it would probably be smart to get my first posts out of the way before I actually have a question. Well then.. I used to have rats as a kid and I loved them but as I got older they slowly switched from a family thing to just mine and around early teen years I noticed I wasn't giving them the same quality care as I previously did. It was a really hard decision and obviously they weren't being mistreated or anything but my attention wasn't there as much as I liked so after my last few old men passed away I put away all my rat stuff.

Flash forward a few years (and a few other pets) and I ended up moving in with a friend which was great for me cause I really needed to get away from my family. Even though I was a lot happier something was still off, our apartment can't have any pets. This was like, the first time in my life I have EVER been without a pet. I always had something in my house, dog, cat, rats, rabbit, (at one point 2 dogs, 2 cats, 16 rats and a horse- well, she was at a barn, but still) so it was really weird living here without a pet especially when my friend went on travel for work. I have a betta fish and while I love him it really isn't the same...

So to help get me out of my funk my friend and I started looking at apartments but I swear, none of them allow pets and if they do they're really gross and I wouldn't want to bring my pet there anyway. I'm not really sure what he did but after two years of asking my friend managed to convince are landlord to let us get a small animal. We were thinking about getting a hedgehog but my friend acts like a 90 year old man and goes to bed around 9 so he'd never get to see the thing, plus with the heat set up (we don't pay utilities and since we shouldn't even have a pet it seems a little unfair to me) I just didn't think it would be an ideal pet for us. I'm not really sure how I convinced him but one look and I think he was converted to rats! Our landlord called us on a Thursday and by Saturday we had our new girls! We've had them over a week now but I'm still in a state of disbelief!

So anyways, I'm Habib, or HD, I used to have rats as a kid and recently got back into them and couldn't be more excited! And if you ever feel like someone is creepily lurking in the shadows of the forum it's probably me being my awkward self.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello! I just got my first pair a little over two weeks ago. I absolutely adore them now and it's hard to keep from waking them up constantly and forcing them to be with me. It's amazing you guys managed to cknvince your landlord to let you have a pair! I hope you have some amazing adventures together and that you find this forum as helpful as I have! :3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty sure my friend could convince Hannibal Lecter to be a vegetarian, so I honestly thought he just didn't want a pet and didn't want to disappoint me. I'm really glad I found this site, I wish I knew about it when I was a kid!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I think I got my 3 posts in so I should definitely go take some photos (only have a few blurry phone pics). Two little girls- I'm pretty sure they were feeder rats that were cute so they slapped on the fancy label. I've mostly had rescue and breeder rats but everything happened so fast it was hard to resist them. We have Raisin a grey hooded rat and Cashew who is a berkshire. We got them at the same time and they were in the same tank but I'm convinced they're from two different litters. At first I thought Cashew was just a little tubby and Raisin a little small but the next day I realized Raisin still had a baby face and everything about her is smaller. The pet store said they were from the same litter but it's a chain pet store and not like the one from my home town that actually takes in rescue rats and knows a thing or too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts