Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself! My FI and I adopted a rat a few weeks ago and we love being rat parents! Our baby's name is Albert (as you can tell by my username). He is adorable and so loving! I joined this forum to learn more about rats and connect with others who understand why rats are so amazing! Most people look at me like I'm crazy, but I love being a rat momma! Not sure why the photo is sideways, but here is our Albert! This was the first night we had him, hence the empty cage.
Black cat Cat Chinchilla Rat Felidae

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It's a great place :3

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Welcome! Your Albert is precious, I love his little teeny tiny ears. You probably already know this but rats do best in pairs. Does Albert have a rat buddy lined up to keep him company? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! Your Albert is precious, I love his little teeny tiny ears. You probably already know this but rats do best in pairs. Does Albert have a rat buddy lined up to keep him company? :)
Thank you! Yes! We are planning to get Albert a buddy ASAP! We're trying to decide what size cage to buy before we get his friend so they have enough room to run around and play. The cage we have right now is big enough for Albert, but not big enough for two rats. We live in an APT so we can't go too crazy with cage size right now, but we're not sure what brands are good. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
It really depends on your budget and what utility you are looking for. Most people here go with either a Critter Nation or one of the Martin's cages both of which are great options. Some opt to utilize bird cages since the vertical height is really neat for adventurous, active rats. If you do not want to spend too much, your best bet would be to browse the Craigslist in your local area and look for deals online. Often you can get the more expensive cages (like the Critter Nations) for significantly less than retail cost (and they are in quite good condition). We have the Double Critter Nation (which is 2x singles stacked on top of each other) but it is a beast of a cage in terms of size. One single might be a good option if money isn't an issue. It can comfortably fit 4 rats (more according to the cage calculator but 4 sounds about right to me) so your Albert + future friend would have plenty of room and the double doors... oh, I just love them.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
PawsandClaws, I see your Klaus is a nosy little guy like my rat Peanut. She will sneak up on you and lick your nose when you are not looking just like Klaus is pictured in your tag.
Definitely! He likes to lick things he finds interesting (which includes noses). My boyfriend call him Dr Klaus because he is constantly sneaking up and inspecting orifices. He likes to put his snout in mouths and ears - I am not sure what he is looking for. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.