Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, My name is Lexy,I am 16, and due to reasons that my best friend could no longer keep her rat, I am taking her from them. I have always wanted a rat and this is the perfect time to get one! I am picking her up from my friend tomorrow and I am soooooo excited!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome, Lexy!
First of all, congratulations on your new friend and for taking her in, I'm sure you'll both have lots of fun1
You may not know yet but rats are actually pack animals and need to live at least in pairs so they don't get lonely and sick. Lonely rats usually live shorter and get sick more frequently than rats with friends and they actually get depressed if they don't have another rat, so getting your new rat a friend is a really good idea (one of my rats used to be a lonely rat so I relly know what I'm talking about)
Anyway, I hope that everything goes well with your new furry and if you have any questions you are in the right place to ask!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I wish you luck with your new rat!
I soon found out after getting my first Rat is that even if you don't let your rat out to play every day you MUST rat-proof your room, I have found my homework that was on my bed, inside my rat's cage after I left the room. Somehow they can pull stuff into their cage if they aren't even that close to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hiya, My name is Lexy,I am 16, and due to reasons that my best friend could no longer keep her rat, I am taking her from them. I have always wanted a rat and this is the perfect time to get one! I am picking her up from my friend tomorrow and I am soooooo excited!
I'm so glad you are getting her. Is she spayed? If not, and you get her a companion, make sure it is another female or you will have babies, so many (12 in a litter is typical) and every month too!!!

So, if you get two girls, you are OK, OR a neutered male (and be sure it really is neutered; unfortunately, sometimes people don't tell the truth--they just want to get rid of a rat). That doesn't sound like what your friend did, though, so I'm happy for you, the rat, and your friend. :)

There is a author called Debbie Ducommun. Check the library for her book called Rats (practical, accurate advice from the expert). She is really good and has other books, too, like how to train your rat.

And ask here when you need help. I'm sure there are some knowledgeable, likable, helpful people to make it go easier for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts