Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I'm a 25 year old woman.
I've owned 2 male rats about 3 years ago.
I'm currently on a waiting list to take two precious female babies in from a breeder. Going for dumbo, rex, blues or blue and white because I'm in love with the beautiful gray/silvery colors and my last rats were black smooth coats.
I'm looking for a good cage, cheaper than 60-70$ that can comfortably house 2 female ratties. Preferably solid shelving/ramps.
If you have any suggestions new or used please let me know. I'm in Akron, Ohio.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hello welcome to the forum :)

I love dumbos & blues <3

Honestly you are not going to find a new sutible cage for that price probably. You could check craigslist for used cages.

There is the rat manor
http://www.petco.com/product/127803...t=MM_SmallAnimalSupplies_CagesHabitatsHutches

This cage isnt huge and having a plastic bottom u do run the risk of them chewing through it. All the plastic parts get yucky fast & should be covered.
http://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Habita..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=15SWWGSGX0RMK5RK5HVH

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh, I used to have the rat manor and I hate it. Huge hassle to clean and I live in an apartment now where I cant just take it outside and spray it down.
The plastic one is more what I want, do you think there's a way to detour the chewing? And what do you mean they by the plastic getting yucky?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The plastic cage linked is not large enough. You really aren't going to find a suitable cage brand new at that price.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Really id suggest
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2091268722&pf_rd_i=desktop

Which is on sale right now & free shipping.

There is no way to know if your rats will be chewers or not. Its kindof a wait and see thing. So if you get the cage & they chew through it oneday kindof a throwing money out the window kindof deal. I dont think i have met anyone who likes plastic shelves. I had some in my cage & removed them promptly. You have to cover them and if your rats chew through the cover or dig under its going to be a pain. The shelves will collect puddles of urine and poo and turn it into a disgusting mess very quickly. Like daily. They are a pain to remove which doesn't make cleaning easy either.

I live in an apartment currently (about to move yay lol) but I got myself a martins cage because of that. http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/ it is going to be more expensive and u will need to get it powder coated & shipping is a bit. But they are great for apartments imo. I have mine on a dresser and can carry it and put it in the shower to hose it down.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Fiesty Ferret (or Ferret Nation, or any ferret cages) won't be suitable for females. The bar spacing is too wide.

I suggest Martin's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I absolutely cannot have wired shelving/ramps. We don't have a washing machine so our laundry gets done once every Saturday and I'm not mixing cloth that's got rat urine and feces with our clothing. So wired shelving/ramps would only be viable if I had a washing machine and could cover it with cloth and wash the cloth separately and more frequently. Also my husband does laundry and will not be willing to wash/handle rat urine cloths. So that's why I cant go with a cage like that.
Also the one on wheels is ridiculously huge and would take way longer to clean.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a review for the plastic cage that had a good idea to prevent the chewing problem. We can line the inside sides with a woven metal meshing type of thing so they cant get past the metal bars to chew the plastic.

Anyhow I think that will work for us. I'll just do quick wipe downs of the plastic shelving/ramps to maintain it throughout the week.

Anyone else from Ohio?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried hunting on craigslist? I've seen Critter Nations and Ferret Nations (which you can still use ... you just need to get wire mesh to attach since the bars are wider) and other good cages going for about that price on there... :)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep I have indeed. There's one cage I was interested in but it's bent up and looks like it may hold escape possibilities.
The others were huge and over 100$.
I don't want to spend so much money on a huge cage that I would potentially only use for the life duration of my 2 rats. If I knew for sure I would be continuously getting more pet rats then it would be a good investment.
Last time I had rats I wasn't married so this will be the first time I'm having rats while married and my husband hates the idea of ANY pets because he doesn't want to have any part of maintenance or care/handling.
So I had to assure him he doesn't have to do anything for my rats and to ensure that remains the truth, I need to get a cage that wont take over an hour to clean and that can be easily lifted/disassembled or else I start slacking on clean-up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do want a critter nation because they do look fun and amazing plus on wheels, that's cool. But it looks like a total hassle to clean because it's so big and our apartment isn't that roomy. That cage is literally the same height as me. Lol 5'3''

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I replace all of the shelves and ramps in my Martin's cage with kitten litter pans (zip tied to the walls) and random things like ladders and branches for bridges.

I'm 7 months pregnant and am able to do all of the cage cleaning myself without husband's assistance. It's pretty simple.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I replace all of the shelves and ramps in my Martin's cage with kitten litter pans (zip tied to the walls) and random things like ladders and branches for bridges.

I'm 7 months pregnant and am able to do all of the cage cleaning myself without husband's assistance. It's pretty simple.
Hmm.. I think you might have misunderstood me. I'm not saying cleaning a cage is so difficult I need my husband's assistance to figure it out.
What I am saying is that the more hassle/time consuming a cage is to clean I start slacking in keeping it clean because it becomes an annoying struggle that I start avoiding more and more. Get my drift? So I need a cage that is easy to clean so that I WILL clean it. Hah.

Can I have a picture of your cage? I'm trying to imagine the litter pan contraption.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found a bird cage same size as critter nation with bar spacing of half an inch for 60$ on craigslist. Can a female baby rat squeeze through half an inch bars?

If it can work I could rig it with some shelving and ramps.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'll try to get a picture ASAP. A lot of people have been asking about the litter pans. I got the idea from Isamurat here on the forums. She also has pictures of how it works. It's pretty great and keeps the smell way down and keeps the rats active.

Half inch spacing is perfect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is 127$ after shipping a good deal for the critter nation single unit brand new? I'm starting to feel the critter nation is the better value for my money in case I ever want to resell it after use. There's a deal going on for the critter nation and I can get it for 127$ total so I'm curious if this is a great deal or if there's cheaper deals?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is 127$ after shipping a good deal for the critter nation single unit brand new? I'm starting to feel the critter nation is the better value for my money in case I ever want to resell it after use. There's a deal going on for the critter nation and I can get it for 127$ total so I'm curious if this is a great deal or if there's cheaper deals?
I would say so, right now it's on Amazon for $144.20 w/free shipping

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would say so, right now it's on Amazon for $144.20 w/free shipping
The deal is from 1800petsupplies.com I was about to place my order but decided to check reviews just in case and I'm seeing some scary things. Anyone ever purchase from this site before?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts