Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rat is only a few months old and out of nowhere he stated making a pigeon kinda sound. He obviously has some kinda fluid somewhere making his gurgling sound. It's diff to some vids I've seen of rats with myco. He is not sneezing.

For the moment he is eating well and mobile but he is quite noticeably in respiratory distress. I can see that he is breathing faster than normal with his chest moving and can hear he has some kind of fluid in his breathing when putting my ear to his body. I can be on the other side of a big room and hear him though. He looks totally fine. No porphyrin.

He has been on baytril for a week now and no change, if anything he has gotten worse. They gave me metacam too which is a NSAID for cats but I guess lowering the dose substantially makes it suitable for rats and that's to keep him from suffering. I'm worried my new baby rat is gonna get worse and I'll have him put down way before he suffers but I want to save him.

I'll upload a video of his noise to youtube if need be. He has clean material for his bedding so it's not aggravated by his surroundings. Any replies will be welcomed. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add he has wet stools.

He also has bad diarrhoea but that is a more recent thing. Maybe a reaction to his medication? He has Not had any extra fibre that I can think of. I Will look for healthy anti diuretics I can feed him. I just want him to be ok and this wet stool makes it hard for me to give him the care and love I want to. He's young and he's happy to spend hours running around on my bed. I take him in the bathroom and he has the floor a couple times a day so he has more space to run. Even now he's a happy fella but I can see it going downhill very fast because he is obviously very poorly and I can't have him on my bed spending time with me with him evacuating brown sludge(excuse the vulgarity). So I am at odd at what to do. In my heart I feel I will lose him because this kind of illness is bad for a young rat and after a week there's little to no change, I hope that a week is not enough on the antibiotics and he gets better.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The metacam is for an anti inflammatory. It's fairly standard to give for resp issues to reduce any irritation in the lungs.

The diahorria will be from a reaction to the baytril. It can upset thete stomach. Try giving him a tea spoon full of love yoghurt once a day to help settle him down again.

As to what's wrong it sounds like a fairly nasty respiratory infection, though he doesn't sound I'll enough for pneumonia but it might be going that way. As the baytril on its own isn't helping i would go back to the very and ask for him to combine it woth amoxycillin or even better coamox. That combo works well. As his breathing is so poor i would also ask if the vet will swap the metacam for a steroid (Useually predinose) with a24-48 h break in between (you shouldn't take them together). This is probably the best resp issue combo though if it doesn't work trying Othery antibiotics can work until you find one that the bacteria is weak to.

You could also look into a decongestant like sudafed kids stuff or bisolvin. It may help a little

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so so much. I don't really have much money because I've spent it on Xmas pressies but this rat has more character than any I've ever known and he was tamed in a day. Such a loving friendly rat that is always wanting to climb all over me. All my rats have done this but he is just much more playful and attentive and to only have him a few months before he has fallen ill saddens me greatly. I just hope he isn't a sickly rat and this is something that can be over come. Your advice is just what I needed. I had been doing my research on the net and had a similar line of thinking but now you have given me the confidence in what I know so I can address the vet properly and get the best treatment possible. I am truly truly grateful for you taking the time to read my posts and giving me your opinion of what routes I can take. I don't know whether you celebrate the coming holidays or not so I won't wish you a merry Xmas(unless you celebrate it of course:D). To me it's just a time to be happy with family. Everyone has their own way of celebrating it. If I can get my rat better that's the best gift I could ask for. So whatever you are doing I wish you the best and thanks a million times over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts