Discussion Starter #1
2 Rats have URIs.

I have Novamoxin 500mg
Amoxicillin Trihydrate 500mg.

Capsules.

One rat weighs: 10.2647 ounces
The other weighs: 11.2524 ounces.

First, is this safe to use on ratties?
Second of all, what would be the appropriate dosage for each rat.

Little back story: Went to the vets, ratties were given liquid Clavamox and it worked for a while (Although difficult to give them.)

Where I live (Canada, Ontario) Medication is so expensive and I had these lying around and I was wondering if I could use this, to save me a trip from the oh so expensive veterinary clinic.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Standard doses for amoxicillin in rats is between 20-50mg per kg of rat. It's safe, but based on the fact that your rats were already given amoxicillin and the URI is back, I'd switch to doxy and Baytril.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Standard doses for amoxicillin in rats is between 20-50mg per kg of rat. It's safe, but based on the fact that your rats were already given amoxicillin and the URI is back, I'd switch to doxy and Baytril.
Thanks, I'll totally look into that!

·
Registered
108 Posts
FYI from personal experience, I did not have as good results from using my own meds on hand and attempting to dose properly for my rats as I did from meds prepared by the vet or pharmacy. I consider myself competent in measuring appropriate doses etc, but I suspect the easily obtainable meds without prescription are just not as good as meds from the vet or pharmacy.

My concern would be not to attempt amoxicillin again since it didn't completely wipe out the infection from before. This could be myco as opposed to other respiratory bugs and might need a doxy/baytril combo to knock it out (or even be on it long term for proper effectiveness).

Good luck!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI from personal experience, I did not have as good results from using my own meds on hand and attempting to dose properly for my rats as I did from meds prepared by the vet or pharmacy. I consider myself competent in measuring appropriate doses etc, but I suspect the easily obtainable meds without prescription are just not as good as meds from the vet or pharmacy.

My concern would be not to attempt amoxicillin again since it didn't completely wipe out the infection from before. This could be myco as opposed to other respiratory bugs and might need a doxy/baytril combo to knock it out (or even be on it long term for proper effectiveness).

Good luck!

Would I get Baytril/Doxy from a vet, too?

I don't know. It's super weird. They only sound bad during certain times of day.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes you get them from a vet or the vet can call them in to a compounding pharmacy.

I don't think that sounds weird. It's no different from when humans are sick and we feel ok during the day but then feel horrible in the evenings/night!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you get them from a vet or the vet can call them in to a compounding pharmacy.

I don't think that sounds weird. It's no different from when humans are sick and we feel ok during the day but then feel horrible in the evenings/night!
Thank-you very much. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts