Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there :)
I'm Ratafari, a.k.a Aden.
Me and my roomate just got our first rats (from the local Petco, the closest breeder is 4 1/2 hours away) yesterday and we are loving them so much!
Mine is a smaller white and light brown rattie named Mary, she's cuddly as can be and loves to sleep in my arm crease or on my shoulder. She's sneezing quite a bit but I'm hope its just new home sneezes. I don't have any pictures yet but I'm sure I'll get some soon, still getting them used to their new home and over the trauma of a pet store!

I can't wait to learn more about the rattie life and get to know you guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Aden! I am Courtney I was in the same boat as you not so long ago and mine did the exact same thing, little sneezes anytime she entered a new room with new smells, we ended up completely take air freshers out of the house and cut down on candles in the rooms she likes the most, I am not sure if its because we cut the fragrances or because shes used to the house now, but now she just sneezes on new people, we think its just new smells all at once, our vet said its nothing to worry about, but too each rattie their own I suppose!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Just thought I'd mention- I'm pretty sure Petco has a guarantee that if they're rats are sick, they will pay for a vet to see them. Not 100% sure about it but I would check it out if he is sneezing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might want to also check that their substrate/bedding is dust free too, rats are insanely prone to respiratory problems. I wouldn't worry about sneezed too much, but if they're breathing quite noisily or have brownish discharge build up around the eyes or nose I would definitely make a vet visit. Unfortunately pet shops don't care much for the health of their animals normally and breed for the profit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts