Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I've been lurking around the forums for a bit now, and I finally decided to register today. :)

My name is Meghann, and I'm the proud mom of 4 rattie girls - Parker, Sophie, Alice, and Charlotte (aka Ratception) - as well as 1 dog and 4 cats (fear not, everyone is safe!).

Eventually I'll have pictures to share of my rat girls - they're so difficult to take pictures of, and my phone camera is absolutely terrible. Sophie is a black berkshire, Parker is a red-eyed... well, I'm not sure, I thought she was white when I got her, but now it looks like she may have some brown above her nose. c: Alice and Charlotte are a sister pair I got, both black hooded. Alice has two smaller spots of black on her back, and Charlotte has a much bigger spot that looks like a little rat! That's how she got her nickname Ratception, a rat inside (well.. on) a rat. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've decided I should probably share a bit about myself, as well. :)

I'm a month shy of 24, and I graduated with a bachelor's degree in Veterinary Science last May. I'm a vet tech at an awesome hospital where one of the two doctors will see any species (barring venomous species and fish - if anyone in the Massachusetts area needs a vet for their rats, please message me to discuss it, as I absolutely love the vet my girls see and I'm willing to share the location with trustworthy people). It's a small hospital, and we run a small feline adoption program out of it - I hope to eventually see this expand to small critters, too, as myself, the vet, and the other full time tech are more than capable of providing proper care for them and finding homes. :)

In my limited spare time, I love to hike with my dog (even in this dreaded winter cold, ugh) and volunteer at my local shelter.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm so jealous of everyone who becomes a vet in some way, shape, or form! I would love to become a vet tech, but that's probably never going to ever happen...
You must post pictures of your ratties!:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's what I've wanted to do since I was about 3 years old, work with animals. I grew up thinking I wanted to become a vet, but my path changed when I realized there are so many other options for working with animals, and that technicians are the ones that do the things I like to do in the clinic (which is, you know... everything but surgery and actually saying "this is definitely what's wrong."), haha. I plan to get my specialty in behavior eventually. :) And in the far-off distance, when I'm not bogged down by my loans so much, I'd like to open a rat rescue. My goal has always been to open a rescue of some type - I've always been involved in rescue and it's definitely a passion of mine - and I recently realized the lack of a rat rescue in my area. But that's veeeery far off, haha.

I definitely will! They're adorable, and still quite young. Parker and Sophie are about 10 weeks old, and Alice and Charlote are 5 and a half weeks old. I'm hoping they'll be easier to take pictures of once they calm down some! They're still new here, so maybe once they're a little older, it'll be easier. I have two relatively decent pictures of them all snuggled into a dollar store basket I hung, but I can't seem to get them from my phone to my email.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I always wanted to be a vet when I was little but then I got really scared of working as vet since I get attached to everything way too easily so I was terrified an animal would pass away while I was working there and I'd get really upset. ((Also I don't have much confidence in my self to work with living creatures or really anything for that fact)) so I kind of phased away from that dream for awhile but I recently got back into the idea of being an exotic vet so I could own more exotic pets (Kinkajou, fox, etc) and know they'd be in better care.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's extremely difficult, losing patients. I cry every time. :( But it's such rewarding work that I wouldn't change what I'm doing right now. I love it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
It's what I've wanted to do since I was about 3 years old, work with animals. I grew up thinking I wanted to become a vet, but my path changed when I realized there are so many other options for working with animals, and that technicians are the ones that do the things I like to do in the clinic (which is, you know... everything but surgery and actually saying "this is definitely what's wrong."), haha. I plan to get my specialty in behavior eventually. :) And in the far-off distance, when I'm not bogged down by my loans so much, I'd like to open a rat rescue. My goal has always been to open a rescue of some type - I've always been involved in rescue and it's definitely a passion of mine - and I recently realized the lack of a rat rescue in my area. But that's veeeery far off, haha.
Maaan, I would love to be a vet tech. I just really struggle, with my confidence and my social anxiety. Learning from someone, and having someone watch me (which they kinda need to do, to make sure I'm doing things right) makes me so uncomfortable, I constantly think I'm not doing it perfectly, so that makes it really hard. Plus, I cannot do presentations. They're out of the question, and that causes some of the biggest problems, I fail presentation assignments because I just can't do it, which lowers my marks. I've been struggling with the public speaking fear for so long.. and it just keeps getting worse.:( *sigh* I fear I'll never be very successful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts