Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my name is fauve I'm from Massachusetts and i have two little boys joey and chandler. this is my first time owning rats but i grew up around all kinds of animals so I'm not completely clueless. I'm no sure exactly how this forum works but from what i understand you have to write 3 of these posts? anyways i have some questions about my boys and just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. they're around 5 months old so they're a bit skittish. ill post a more detailed message about they're behaviors and my questions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My first baby boy is Chandler. He's the fatty of the two lol he's a beige Berkshire and he is the alpha. He's more outgoing than the other id say. They are about 5 months old and I've had them for about two weeks now. Anyways as I was saying Chandler is not as shy as Joey but still neither of them like to be touched or pet! When I try nd touch Chandler inside his cage he won't do anything but I don't think he's enjoying it. When he's free roaming on my bed he doesn't stay still enough for me to pet him. He does crawl on me and sniff me and stuff but he does not like being picked up and does not go on my shoulder. I seem to be able to touch him more than the other one who is the most skittish of the two. I feel like Chandler is making a little progress but it's hard to tell :/ into the next lol Joey is the small one. He's a black and white Broken hooded and he is kind of a scaredy cat lol when I try to touch him in his cage he just stays very still leans a way a bit or he'll push me away with his nose or paw! When he's on my bed and I try he'll flinch and or run away. I barely try to pick him up because of Chandler doesn't like it Joey likes it even less! :/ again I feel like he's making a little progress but it's hard to tell. What I've been doing is feeding them treats talking to them and interacting with them every day. They also have access to my bed every day. I try to interact with them when they are trotting around on the bed and crawling on my legs and stuff and I try to touch them and pet them quite a bit. Not to the point where I'm over doing it though. I just need to hear people's advise oppionions and thoughts. I don't have any friends or family who have owned rats. Do you think they will ever be used to me? Will they ever sit on my shoulder or on my lap and enjoy me petting them? I'm looking forward to hearing what you all have to say!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi frenchyy I think I'm having a similar experience, how long have you had them? I've had mine for about four weeks and they're all pretty skittish too, definitely none of my four like to be picked up and couldn't go on my shoulder. Where'd you get them from? Maybe they had a bad experience with humans before you and are just going to take some time to adjust.

I've just been giving my girls lots of time and I'm totally seeing changes tho small ones. For me it's helped just slowly getting them more used to me by feeding them treats closer and closer to me so they have to put both hands on my hand to reach the treats, and that's been good bc it doesn't feel like I'm scaring them. Also if they won't accept pets I just pat them a bit just to get used to my hand and show that I'm not trying to hurt them

Anyway I'm sure there are lots of people here with better advice than me, I just wanted to assure you in case you'd had them for a shorter time than me because these're my first rats too and I know it can be hard if they don't get that we don't mean them any harm. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the message hun I appreciate it! I've had them for about 2 weeks...I got them from this young girl and her mother who breed rabbits for show so they know what they are doing. They got them from petsmart I think though :/ but it's funny after I wrote those messages I went back to my bed and Chandler came out. I was on my stomach and he came and sat under my neck against my chest. And he stayed there for quite a while! I'm assuming he sat cuz usually he doesn't stay in one spot for more than a few seconds! But he stayed and kind of cuddled with me and let me touch him a bit! I think that was an improvement!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He started scratching at my shirt and was trying to make a bed I think! It was the first affectionate moment I've had with him...it was so sweet

·
Registered
48 Posts
Joey and Chandler.. Hmm I'm guessing that's not just a coincidence haha. Good choice of names, I was thinking about Phoebe and Monica for my rats when I first got them. I've only had mine for 3 weeks and Michonne is still extremely skiddish, what I've been doing however is putting her in my pocket/ hoodie and just leaving her in there for about an hour or so each day just so she can snuggle up and get used to my voice/ scent and also feel my heartbeat. She freaks out until I put her in the hoodie or pocket so it is working a little bit. However since she is my fiancés rat he's been putting baby food/ yoghurt/ mashed banana on his finger so she'll lick it off and get used to him, that doesn't really seem to have worked as well as putting a little bit of oats in his head though. At first she would shove only her head in his hand and eat them but now she actually sits in his hand and eats them. It seems to be improving slowly but surely. Maybe you could even try just sitting at the cage and talking to them quietly for 20 minutes or so each day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Joey and Chandler.. Hmm I'm guessing that's not just a coincidence haha. Good choice of names, I was thinking about Phoebe and Monica for my rats when I first got them. I've only had mine for 3 weeks and Michonne is still extremely skiddish, what I've been doing however is putting her in my pocket/ hoodie and just leaving her in there for about an hour or so each day just so she can snuggle up and get used to my voice/ scent and also feel my heartbeat. She freaks out until I put her in the hoodie or pocket so it is working a little bit. However since she is my fiancés rat he's been putting baby food/ yoghurt/ mashed banana on his finger so she'll lick it off and get used to him, that doesn't really seem to have worked as well as putting a little bit of oats in his hand though. At first she would shove only her head in his hand and eat them but now she actually sits in his hand and eats them. It seems to be improving slowly but surely. Maybe you could even try just sitting at the cage and talking to them quietly for 20 minutes or so each day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Omg that was my choice of names if I got girls!!!! :) that's so funny lol thank you for your message those are some great ideas! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to try the pocket thing but I think they'll still freak out :/ hopefully not! is your girl the one who's maybe preggers?? Lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have a button up shirt then that works the best, and yes she is that's why I'm using food to coax the little fatty out haha. My other girl Moo is the most placid female rat I've ever seen honestly, I just let out her out and she runs straight between my legs and just sleeps there for ages.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Omg you're my twin I do the same thing!! It's all I watch I'm watching it right now!!! I've seen it 1000000000000 times hahaha awww I'm so jealous I want my boys to cuddle with meeeee

·
Registered
48 Posts
Holy crud, me too hahaha. It did take about 2- 3 times of putting them in my pocket and covering the top of it so they didnt get out. However since Michonne has gotten so big she cant even fit in it by herself haha. Heres a photo of Moo just being sleepy in my pocket :)
Moo.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Omgggg that is soooo cute!!! Oh man Chandler would never fit in that pocket haha he's a big boy I'll show u a pic

1 - 20 of 26 Posts