Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! Me and my girlfriend just adopted to little boys this week and i thought it would be good to join a forum!
We have a little solid black boy named mimos and a real cuttie light brown hooded who i still havent figured out a name for yet.
We got a single unit critternation scored it for under 100 bucks :wink:
I do have a few questions :hushed:
Im feeding then mazuri but i didnt see that it was really high in protein when i bought it!! Is it safe to just increase the amout of oatmeal and dry whole wheat pasta they eat for a few more days while i return it ?
I was also wondering how many snacks are ok daily like cheerios and dog treats
And any tips on handleing them is really appretiated too, they seem pretty calm but are not yet used too humans.
Really any tips on anything is appertiated!
Thank you for your time! :mouse::two_hearts::mouse::two_hearts:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey there! So I've only had rats for about six months so my two cents may not mean too much and I'd definitely check with more knowledgeable people before deciding anything but here goes.

To the best of my knowledge Mazuri is not a bad food. The stuff that isn't for breeders, which I guess is what you have, does have really high protein but for growing rats, what I have heard, indicates that's ok.
I have never given my rats dog treats but they should be fine just maybe not whole ones since dogs are bigger than rats lol. If they're multigrain then several daily is completely fine! If they're honey nut then feed vary sparingly because of the sugar. Some people say never to use honey nut some say it's ok it's up to you. I mostly just use rice krispies.

As far as handling, for my girls what I did was just sat in front of the cage and read with the doors open and my hand in it. They mostly ignored me unless I was giving them a treat though lol. Still I noticed that they became a lot less hesitant when I came near them pretty quickly. After a couple of weeks they let me get them out no problem, not at all skittish, unless I'd just woken them up from a nap or something.
I would HIGHLY recommend training your babies to associate a noise with treats. I just click my tongue but you can do whatever you want. Just make the noise whenever you give them treats. Now I can do it and they come running over towards me (took about a week for the most food motivated to learn and two for the least). It makes it easier to keep an eye on them when they're free ranging and it looks cool to visitors too ;)

So that's what I've got for you. I'm sure other more knowledgeable individuals can help more though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your comment! The dog treat that i got for them is a blueberry mini size busiquit from isle of dog, its 100% natural and had only a few ingridients and the protein is only 7% so i figured its probably healthy, im really trying to feed them other stuff and keep the mazuri to a minimum;

·
Registered
425 Posts
The Mazuri isn't a bad food especially for younger rats. I fed Mazuri for 6 months or so before I found Oxbow, my rats had no ill effects, although I wouldn't feed it to older rats as willingly. I would suggest fresh veggies in slowly increasing amounts for treats, my rats go particularly nuts for kale, and frozen green peas! As for handling, I would just get them out in an area where they can't escape and play with them. Just be there with them and pet them when they come close by, give treats, drag a string around for them to chase, etc.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have one of those cat toys on a stick with feathers on the end, probably one of my rats favorite toys. They love to chase it, capture it, then try to run with it and hide it. It makes me laugh out loud to watch this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my goodness! Im picking some up at work today defenitly! It might help get em outa the cage since i dont like scareing them by picking them up yet !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts