Rat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I've been reading through posts on this forum for the last few weeks and I thought I should take a moment to reach out and say hi! Last month, I began fostering a rat from our local shelter, as there was some suspicion that she may be pregnant. Sure enough, almost three weeks ago I came home to tiny squeaks! Sophie had 8 babies, 3 girls and 5 boys, and they are all doing wonderfully! They just opened their eyes this past week and have really started exploring their cage - they're so sweet!

Here are a few pics of them as an introduction...

Green Gerbil Muridae Chinchilla Muroidea
Sophie "before babies"

Snout Domestic pig Hamster Guinea pig Fawn Rodent Hamster Tail Muridae Fawn
Sophie "after babies" ;)

Canidae Dog Puppy Dog breed Non-Sporting Group
The group of 8 (does anyone else see 9 rats? Check out the black hooded baby's markings! So cool.)

Rat Muridae Snout Pest Fawn
Amelia's first snuggle :) I think she would have stayed there all night if I'd let her - she was out cold!

This is my first-ever experience with rats, so the last few weeks have been quite an adventure! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone on the forum and to learning from you all! I have a feeling that I'm not going to be completely rat-less at the end of the foster period ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! They're so much fun. I'm a psychology major, so being able to watch them learn from their mom how to interact with their world (and their water bottle) has been so cool. Sophie is being very sweet with them and has what seems to be an unending patience for being trampled on while she's sleeping lol. Every now and then she sneaks around to the back of their house for some much needed quiet time and a nap, though lately she's been waking up to a few of the babies curled up around her now that they're moving around. She's still quite fearful of people and hasn't let us touch her since she had the babies, but she's making a lot of progress with trust training so hopefully she'll continue to warm up to us :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh my goodness! Look at those cuties. They are absolutely precious. Do you know what's going to happen to the babies since they are being fostered? Will you keep them or will you be finding homes for them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
How cute! Props to you for fostering all of those rat babies - as much as I love animals, I don't think I have the time/energy required to care for eight baby rats AND their mother!

Welcome to the forums! ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome! :) These last four weeks have been so much fun (though definitely a lot of work!). I'm fostering these guys through our local shelter, so once they are old enough, they'll go up for adoption. Except for my Sophie…... and my snuggler Amelia……. and my little grey Jasper, who has "chosen" me over this past week…. oh man ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
So cute! I love seeing foster "failures" and the babies getting to stay with their foster parents rather than adoption. It is great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts