Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola :) I've had this forum recommended to me by quite a few awesome people, so here I am! I'm a huge rodent lover - my parents luckily let me be pet parent to everything from piggies to gerbils to mice - but I've been pining over my own ratties for about four years. Well now I just came home with my own pair of young girlies after a lot of saving up for my own CN and I'm so happy to be here! My one girl is a lilac berkshire and the other is a champagne something. The lilac one is very outgoing right off the bat, but her companion is pretty shy, and I think she'll spend today camped behind the Quaker Oats container. They are PetSmart girls - I was originally going to adopt from a breeder but wasn't able to get through to any in my area and the rescue rats were way farther out than would have been reasonable to expect a parent to drive. Luckily my girls are bright-eyed and not a single squeak in their breathing, so I'm very happy, plus they're very gentle and sweet.

I don't have any pictures yet, but will soon after they settle in. Now I just need some names for these pretty little ladies. If you have any tips for a first-time rat owner, I'm happy to hear them all!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I love lilac rats :D definitely post pictures when you get the chance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome! I actually got a few pictures now; I ended up scooping up Ms. Shy and she actually warmed up after some scritches enough to check out the cage some before stealing a piece of wheat Chex from me and scurrying back to her hiding place - even then when she peeked around the corner, I could tell she's perked up a little. As they settle in, I'm trying to teach my cat some boundaries so he doesn't freak them out. He doesn't swat but I don't want him leaning on the cage side just because of claws. Anyway, pics! Just realized the camera made them a couple shades darker than they really are.

And here's their cage setup so far:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts