Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name's Khloe. I'm from Pennsylvania, USA. I am currently trying to research rats as much as I possibly can so that maybe my parents will allow me to have a pair of them as pets! When I was young, my dad one time brought home a pair of Albino rats from the pet store. At that time, he had just bought them without doing any research, so we knew nothing about their care. From what I can remember, the rats would go to the bathroom everywhere every time we picked them up. Now this is most likely because we did not give the rats any time to adjust, and they were probably very scared. We returned them a few days later. Now that I am much older, I know what not to do upon purchasing rats. I only fear that my parents will think the rats will behave like the pair that we had in the past and use it as a reason that I cannot get them! :( I'll just have to make some pretty good points and hopefully they'll see reason! Anyways, I look forward to being part of this forum!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi Khloe! :3 Welcome to the forum and I hope you get some new fur children soon!

Few starter tips:

-> Females are generally more active than males. If you're lazy like I am and like lap animals. Males might be good for you! (However, this is just a generality! All rat personalities differ! :3 )

-> Immersion is very important. I got my very first 2 rats back (I now have 8, haha!) in February. I had a week off of work and spent 12+ hours a day (because I don't have a life) with them either on my lap, wrapped in a blanket, playing on my bed or in my shirt. They now consider me their rat mom.
Pretty much, the more time you spend with them.. the faster they'll bond with you.

-> Trust training is good to start off with, especially.. Trying to get your ratties to eat from your hands is great.

-> When picking your rats, maybe let them pick you instead? Try sticking your hand in said rattie cage (if you're going through a pet store option *I had to, no breeders around here, really*) and who ever is the most curious (nibbles/licks your hand) I'd pick that one. **Same Sex rats, as you don't want like 328592837198 babies running around!*

Best of luck! Super excited for you. :3

P.s. don't forget to get a decent sized cage for your ratties and lots of toys, things for them to chew on! ^_^

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi there!!

I'm so glad you want some ratties :) They are so smart!

May I suggest you obtain very young rats from someone nearby. I've seen several "oops" litters on Craigslist and that's actually where I got my baby. I have had 3 pet store rats and one from an "oops" litter. They are all excellent, but there is a HUGE difference in how much time I had to spend to have them not freaking out every time I came near. My oops litter baby is so fearless because she was handled as early as possible by loving humans and I took her home as soon as she was 5 1/2 weeks old.

Good luck!!

And PS - 328592837198 babies sounds so fun!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts