Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there! i just joined. i hope to learn a lot here.

i just got a rat.

i was at the dollar theater with some friends when i saw some guys trying to back over this little girl rat. so i went over and took her from them. i'm kind of new to rats. i've had hamsters before and know about the teeth and stuff like that but other than that i don't know much :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Welcome! These forums are a wealth of information! Good on you for rescuing the rattie!

Make sure you have a proper cage and food for her and consider getting her a friend.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Welcome :D These forums have alot of information im be looking forward to see you on the forum

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome!

There's a ton of info here, but the basics are:

Food- get harlan teklad/oxbow lab blocks or make suebee's mix (google it)
Bedding- aspen, carefresh, Yesterday's News (paper based cat litter), cloth/fleece NO PINE OR CEDAR
Cage- at least 2 feet long by a foot wide, and a wire one so the air circulates freely

and most important of all, get the little ratty a friend asap! =)

·
Registered
216 Posts
OMG! Did you say 'back over'?!? Like with a car or bike or something?! I am horrified. Good for you! You rock in my book already!
Welcome.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hello and Welcome! I will say you have an interesting 'how I got my rat' story... honestly people can be horrible!

And a random rattie fact: rats brux (grind/rub their teeth together) to keep them trimmed, so they don't *need* chew blocks, however most do enjoy them (and it might keep your cage in better shape ;-))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts